97 power seats

gofast!

Mar 15, 2012
I'm working on a friends 97 mustang. The power seats have stopped working. They way she described it, its sounds to me like the motor died. Said it sounded like it was getting weak and now it does not make noise at all. Aside looking for a blown fuse (Under the hood right?), bad wire, connections, etc... is there anything else i should look for? How do I test the motor to see if its good? I think as long as I can get the seat back to where she can drive it without the knees in the dash that would be fine, is there a way I can manually move it? Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

If the 97 is anything like the 94-95, the gear box that spins the threaded shaft that moves the seat track is probably stripped. I have had that on both my 94 and my 95. Unbolt the seat and flip it over. There is one motor with two output shafts that move the seat up and back. Another motor controls up/down. The "gear box" is mounted on the threaded seat track shaft. I dont know if you can buy them new or not. I went to the junk yard to find a whole replacement seat rack for mine. Paid $7 for it (these things are going for over $100 on ebay). Gotta be lucky though because a junk yard one is liable to be stripped too.

So I looked at it today and it moves, up, down, and fwd. Just not back, the rwd doesn't even make noise. Can I change just the switch, and not have to change out the whole bracket?

maybe the switch. after I rebuilt mine, it moves forward, back and up...but not down. When I hook it up on the bench to a 12 vdc supply, it moves in all 4 directions, so I guess I have a bad contact in the down part of the switch. I have seen these switches going for $50 on ebay. Sad thing is, when I got my seat track from the pull a part place, I left the switch with the seat! Guess I'm going back there on Monday.