'05 power seat problem

Ffranzwa

Oct 27, 2023
Shawnee, KS
Hi everyone. We have an '05 GT convertible with 50K miles and the power seat will not move forward or backward, but it does relcline. I removed the pigtail that plugs into the seat motor and put a multi meter one each terminal. It's hard to see in the pic (not much room between the front and back seat!), but when I hold the pigtail with the retaining clip facing me, the 1st terminal on the left bank did nothing, but the 2nd and 3rd gave me 12v when I moved the seat switch forward and backward. I was hoping it was the switch, but I'm guessing that the motor has failed. I'm reluctant to remove the seat, due to the side airbag. Any tips, suggestions, etc?
20231027_131221.jpg
20231027_131701.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Most likely is an issue with the motor, specifically the plastic gear used to drive the worm gear. You can swap out the motor, or the entire seat rack if you can find one you know works entirely.

Pulling the seats isn't any big deal, just need to disconnect your battery for a few minutes beforehand to discharge any built up capacitance. Normally I would undo the bolts first since it's easier if you can move the seat back and forth, but since that's your bad part, just disconnect, crack a beer, wait a few, then unbolt the seat, lean it back, and disconnect the harnesses. I've had mine out several times now for various wiring jobs; gives you a good chance to deep clean the carpet, too.

If you replace the entire rack, it's not too bad, either. It bolts to the seat at four points that are obvious when you get the seat out. You'll need to unhook a bunch of clips and lift of the seat padding to get access to both sides of them.

Most likely is an issue with the motor, specifically the plastic gear used to drive the worm gear. You can swap out the motor, or the entire seat rack if you can find one you know works entirely.

Pulling the seats isn't any big deal, just need to disconnect your battery for a few minutes beforehand to discharge any built up capacitance. Normally I would undo the bolts first since it's easier if you can move the seat back and forth, but since that's your bad part, just disconnect, crack a beer, wait a few, then unbolt the seat, lean it back, and disconnect the harnesses. I've had mine out several times now for various wiring jobs; gives you a good chance to deep clean the carpet, too.

If you replace the entire rack, it's not too bad, either. It bolts to the seat at four points that are obvious when you get the seat out. You'll need to unhook a bunch of clips and lift of the seat padding to get access to both sides of them.
Thanks for the reply Limey!

It looks like no one offers replacement motors for the drivers seat, but I think I've seen replacement gears. Is this a better option than buying a used OEM motor and seat track?
If you can find the gears, I would give it a shot. I've replaced those nylon gears in a few different OEMs and had pretty good luck.

The gear kits [usually] come with lubricant. Double check and get some if not.