98 4.6 Headers???

soonerfever

Jul 25, 2006
Guys I am sorry because I know this has been posted before but I can't seem to find anything helpful. I just found out tonight that my manifolds are leaking (small holes) and need to be replaced. I am looking at going with headers. I am just concerned about them hooking up with my BBK O/R H-Pipe. It is just the H-Pipe used for the standards 4.6's.

Also any suggestions on headers?

• Sponsors (?)

unless you are VERY mechanicly inclined, i wouldnt reccomend tackling this yourself. I hope you have a mechanic friend that owes you BIG b/c this is possibly one of the biggest pains in the ass to do on a mustang. also people dont realize how much money is involved in longtubes. figure on about 500 for the headers (assuming you get some cheap like bbk) and if you have to have them installed plan on another 500, then a new midpipe, another 150, plus you are going to need a tune, so thats another 200. so in the end you're looking at 1350 minimum for the whole ordeal. headers are a money pit if you cant do it yourself. if i had the knowledge and the time to install them i would have them cause they sound oh so sweet. they give you a nice midrange punch also. good luck

I have a good friend that is a mechanic and he always lets me use his lift and he always helps. I do not race the car at all. Its just a fun street car that runs well. My stock manifolds are leaking and the ticking noise is driving me crazy. I was looking at some BBK ceramic coated shorties becuase they will bolt up to my O/R H-Pipe. My car sets really low so I don't see spending $500+ on long tubes then beating the crap out of them when driving around. I know they sound and perform alot better because I have a set on my 66. I just don't want to dump that much money in this car. I am hoping to get some tips from the guys who have installed them. Thanks for the help and advice so far.

well if your just looking for a replacement go ahead and do shorties...but honestly you mine was well just get replacement stockers because the gain is going to be very very minimal

5.0 mag did a dyno after installing some slp shorties and i think the gain was like 1.5rwhp or something