98 Gt Fuel Pump Final Answer

Laser98GT

Jan 9, 2015
Ohio
First of all I'd like to say this is my first post here so try to go easy on me.

I've been reading quite a bit into what kind of fuel pump to buy for my 98 GT after I noticed my current one whining, and it feels like I was launched into a tornado of unwanted information. Bunch of people saying I should use a Walbro 255 or a SVT Focus pump or a Vortech Pump etc. etc.

I don't have any high power goals in the foresee-able future so I would only need a pump that works basically the same as the stock one, and I would prefer not to spend upwards of 400 dollars on a new pump.

Before anyone asks the car has a date stamp of 06/98 so I'm fairly sure it has the return-style fuel system.

• Sponsors (?)

The 98 fuel system is unique. It is a return style system with pulse width modulation. This is unique because the 99+ pumps have pulse width modulation without a return while the 97 and earlier pumps have a return but are constant speed. Each manufacturer will tell you what year each pump is compatible with.
You stated that you don't have any power goals, so why not go with a stock replacement? Just look it up by year/build date at your local parts store/rock auto. If you are concerned about longevity, choose a reputable manufacture and longer warranty period.
A stock replacement pump should be good for nearly any naturally aspirated combination.