98 GT smoking bad......blue smoke!

ok guys here is the deal. My 98 Gt just recently started to smoke badly. Heres what it does. I will let it idle for just a small 1 minute idle and then I will take off normally from that idle and it will blow blue smoke which is OIL! It doesnt smoke on decel or high revs just on the first second of a starting take off after it sets at a light or just at idle. what can be causing this to do this. I did a compression check a month ago and it came out a damn perfect 160 on every cylinder. Also i did an oil change a week and a half ago and yesterday I check my oil only to find a dry dipstick i used 5w-30 when I did my oil change. Could that be the problem?. I am really worried about this and I need some help.

• Sponsors (?)

98blackstallion said:
ok guys here is the deal. My 98 Gt just recently started to smoke badly. Heres what it does. I will let it idle for just a small 1 minute idle and then I will take off normally from that idle and it will blow blue smoke which is OIL! It doesnt smoke on decel or high revs just on the first second of a starting take off after it sets at a light or just at idle. what can be causing this to do this. I did a compression check a month ago and it came out a damn perfect 160 on every cylinder. Also i did an oil change a week and a half ago and yesterday I check my oil only to find a dry dipstick i used 5w-30 when I did my oil change. Could that be the problem?. I am really worried about this and I need some help.

My guess is either valve seals or valve guides. I can't remember which is responsible, but the blue smoke after idling for a minute or so is indicative of wear in this area. Chevy's were notorious for this years ago.

98blackstallion said:
oh yeah and since i noticed the car blowing smoke its been running really sluggish. Could the extra oil in the cylinders be doing this?

:shrug: It would definately effect power if it was bad enough. I couldn't say how much it would take before you would notice it though.

Did this come on all of a sudden, like within a day, or was it something you saw get worse and worse over a few weeks?

I just started noticing it saturday night and i have gone threw 5 quarts of oil in less than 2 weeks. I noticed that the longer it sits at idle the more smoke it will blow out when i start going but stops quickly. It doesnt smoke at startup tho. I think its fouling my plugs which is causing it to run sluggish.

hey black stallion mine is a 96 and it has been doing it for years...exact same symptoms to the t. I believe also its valve seals from what i could dig up...if you ever find out for sure please let me know...i will do the same...i am still deciding what to do.

If you end up buying used PI heads take them to a machine shop before you put them on. I bought 2000 used PI heads with "20k miles" and I dropped them off at the machine shop for valve job and half the exhaust valve guides were toast, even though the heads were super clean and nice looking, so just a warning so you dont end up with the the same smoking even after pi swap heh.

yes i have run it low on oil thats how i noticed this little problem. In one week I managed to go through 5 quarts of oil 5w-30. I checked the stick and it was bone dry. Never had this problem before and i would check my oil every couple of weeks but i am glad i did it sooner tho. What happens if you run it low on oil? obviously it will blow the motor but aside from that.

Ok i just got finished with the compression check and here is the last one i did...

drivers side......before Pass....before
160 160
160 160
160 160
160 160

Ok now here is the new one...

drivers.................................pass..
170 165
160 160
165 165
165 165

How does the pressure rise on a motor that is getting higher in miles??? Well I can count out rings being the problem.