Progress Thread 99 Gt Vert/sketchy_gt

Sketchy_GT

Nov 13, 2016
This past Saturday I backed into a spot at a car show and my 99 GT wouldn't come out of reverse, I knew I was gonna need a clutch soon, but it hadn't been acting up til it locked in reverse. After about an hour of messing with it we started rocking the car and me and a buddy started pushing the shifter, and we finally got it popped out. I drove it home, but i never tried to put it in 5th, thinking about it being in the same fork I didnt want it to lock in 5th. So once i got it home tried to get it in reverse, and it does not exist anymore. The shifter does not even move down into where reverse should be it feels like shifting against a wall. So now I'm gonna start pulling the transmission, either to replace or rebuild, whatever the budget allows:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Looking like it's gonna be a transmission for me, thats what my wallet says so thats what I'll do for now. anybody want to sell me a good transmission cheap;)

I definitely would want a full rebuild if i was gonna repair it that way everything would be fresh in there. Plus it will take me awhile to get the trans out with the car just on ramps/jackstands so I'll have plenty of time to lay around and weigh my options

If I can't find a good deal on one by the weekend I'll probably spend extra money and just have it rebuilt because I really want this thing back on its wheels, I kinda enjoy it,But anyway got the drive shaft out last night, definitely had never been removed before,

Attachments

• IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    647 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: 1 user
So I got the shifter bezel and inner boot out tonight and in the bezel it looks like a place for a wire connector but doesn't have a hole through to the outside or a button and I found a wire connector just laying in there unplugged I know it's a 99 and didn't have a traction control button but is that possible, pics to come tomorrow

No i mean in the bezel from what i can read traction control button wasnt standard for Gts in 99 but it was an option i just wonder if i got a button and plugged into the empty wire down behind the shifter bezel if it would turn traction control on/off. picture is one i found online of a bezel with the trac button

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 126
You might want to replace the u-joints now since you have it out, cheap and relatively easy. Replacing the clutch pressure plate, TOB, pilot bearing and resurfacing the flywheel? Check the TOB Arm and socket etc too.

Reactions: 1 users
I know your already throwing a bunch of money at this thing but the advice above is very true. Clutch and related items would be worth doing now, while its open.

Imagine getting the car back, cruising it for a couple weeks, then bam! Clutch dies and you start all over taking that big effer back out. Food for thought.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh trust me guys i was about to do clutch before this thing went out i will be doing clutch etc.. before this thing goes back in. I may be young but im not too stupid :)

Edit: theyre checking everything at the trans shop so while its there he's gonna toss a new throwout bearing on it and just charge me the price of the bearing since i would have to buy it anyway. so i just gotta focus on whats still on the car

I'll be taking it to the trans shop on Saturday, I didn't have the tools to get the exhaust bolts loose coming off the manifold. So to save myself trouble they will reinstall it.