A fast back conversion for randym67

The fold over lip at the bottom of the door skin only had a slight starter bend to it so i put it in my sheet metal break and bent it a bit more ,that also straightened the bottom of the skin that was kind of up and down .
There is one more bracket i need from the old skin ,it is the bracket for wind wing that i will weld in before the skin is in place ,dont forget that bracket !
20210725_150945.jpg
20210725_152122.jpg
20210725_152208.jpg
20210725_151147.jpg
there os a strip of tar paper on the inner bar of the door shell ,it keeps the outer skin stiff and keeps vibration out ,i replaced that .
20210725_150956.jpg
i should be skinning it in the morning

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Other than a very lite ding from shipping ,no dents no dings no errors . I still have to tack weld and weld the tabs where the wind wing goes and this door will be finished .
I do not drill my plug weld holes until after the lip is folded over ,the holes first allow the metal to distort the metal along the door skin edge
20210726_080534.jpg

Passenger side door bolted in place and we are ready to start cutting apart . I usually use a saws all to take the roof off but my neighbors cant appreciate hard work / noise so i bought a brand new Hobart plasma cutter ,lets see how that works out
20210729_081638.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
The roof and quarters are off ,the plasma cutter was quieter but the saws all is quicker and cleaner . Need to finnish trim then sand blast the back end and we are ready to level it up
20210729_101618.jpg
Melting things to cut might keep the neighbors happier, but did touching it up with a grinder take a lot more time? (It’s not as clean as a light saber.) And was the noise from that about as bad as the saw?
What kind & brand of blades were you happiest with using in the reciprocal saw?

I use the Milwaukee blades for cutting metal ,one blade can do a couple of cars but beat the crap out of you .
Plasma cutter worked great but its a lot slower getting through all the layers
I see Ian on Full Custom Garage frequently using cut off cut off wheel tools, but his Milwaukee Sawsall is a frequently used tool when there is more than one layer. He also does not always have face or eye protection or a two hand grip on the cut off tools. That makes me nervous after a HFT wheel blew up and threw the angle grinder into my face.
I was advised to get a cordless sawsall and an extra battery when I wanted some pieces of a car in a u-pull it yard.
Thanks for the info and interesting reading,

Yep a battery pack saws all ,i have a Ryobi ,but get the one with the green batteries .one battery will cut the whole car apart . Saws all works a lot better than a chop saw ,those things will splatter on you . Saws all will go through several layers at one time

Most of the tar is off ,enough to where the blaster can remove the rest . Nice clean metal under the tar ,the trunk area will clean up like new metal. I trimmed the wheel tubs ,the wheel lips ,door jamb and front of the roof still needs to be trimmed before i blast
20210809_094303.jpg
20210809_094308.jpg
20210809_094316.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Ok back on it again ,from trees falling to fences getting ripped our of the ground i have been very busy .
The front of the roof is drilled and broke loose ,i melted out the led and once i cut a couple of welds it will be removed . I should have it mostly trimmed today and the door frames built ...if no one takes out any more of my fencing !
20210818_094809.jpg
20210818_094812.jpg

Reactions: 2 users