A few questions.....

ArkansasMystic

Feb 16, 2007
Hello, i am about to get a new vehicle, and i want something that i will like to drive and also get good gas mileage (i currently get 11 in my 1990 gmc, so 20 sounds great!!!). I am mainly considering gt, but thought i would ask about the v6. First thing, what gas mileage are you all getting? Also, how is your insurance compared to other vehicles? I am afriad that since i am 18 that insurance will be really high. Thanks alot.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome! Gas milage typically depends on your driving style whether it be lead foot or a light foot. I get on average 21 miles to the gallon or about 325 on a full tank. Most people will tell you to get the GT now and not wait. If I was you, I would look at buying a GT. Insurance is going to be high regardless if you get a V6 or a V8, so you might as well have fun in a V8. You will prolly want to stay away from Vert's as that will increase your insurance rates even more. When you do look for insurance, shop around as different companies do charge different rates. If you get quoted very high everywhere, you may want to attempt to max out your deductible for collision. But a best bet for you would be to purchase a mustang cash and only carry liability so your rates won't be so high. If you finance, your gonna get slammed because you will have to carry comprehensive and collision. Have fun and good luck!

there's quite a bit of difference in insurance premiums with a V6 vs. a GT. Being young myself, know how much of a difference a 75-100 bucks a month can make, and that's about how much it could be, depending on the company...

Hello, i am about to get a new vehicle, and i want something that i will like to drive and also get good gas mileage (i currently get 11 in my 1990 gmc, so 20 sounds great!!!). I am mainly considering gt, but thought i would ask about the v6. First thing, what gas mileage are you all getting? Also, how is your insurance compared to other vehicles? I am afriad that since i am 18 that insurance will be really high. Thanks alot.

Gas mileage in a V6 isn't that much better than a GT. It really all depends on how you drive.

As for insurance...just call your agent and ask. Insurance rates are too personalized to just ask members of a forum who live across the country and have different driving records than yourself.

What years are you considering? If you're looking at older cars, insurance rates are gonna be relatively low, even on a GT, because of the low value of the car.
When my '01 got totalled(by a Camry driver), I started looking at older GT's. a '98 GT convertible was $15 more every 6 months than a V6 hardtop of the same year. I got a '95 'vert because I wanted the 5.0 instead.
Newer cars is were you start to see a difference.

there's quite a bit of difference in insurance premiums with a V6 vs. a GT.

What years are we talking about here?:shrug: Brand new cars, that you don't own, yes, there will be a difference. But if you're 18 and willing to go $25k in debt for a new GT, I doubt you're gonna be worried about insurance costs.

Like I said, call your agent. Only they will know what your rates will be.

If you get a 5 speed GT and baby it most of the time while driving, your MPG will be only 1 or 2 lower than with a V6. If you're a stoplight warrior, redlining it 20 times per day, then yes there will be a much bigger difference. Everyone gets on it hard now and then... even those of us with 150 hp automatics..:nonono: :rlaugh: but really, how often does that happen? On long, easy highway trips, I have had several friends who own GT's tell me they get cose to 30 MPG.
I'll end it with the bottom line: I have had my V6 for 7 years now. I'm trapped in debt so I can't switch cars for a while. Not a day goes by that I don't wish I had waited until I could afford a GT. There is NO WAY the V6 is worth the small economic advantage over a GT, considering how much fun you're giving up.

If you get a 5 speed GT and baby it most of the time while driving, your MPG will be only 1 or 2 lower than with a V6. If you're a stoplight warrior, redlining it 20 times per day, then yes there will be a much bigger difference. Everyone gets on it hard now and then... even those of us with 150 hp automatics..:nonono: :rlaugh: but really, how often does that happen? On long, easy highway trips, I have had several friends who own GT's tell me they get cose to 30 MPG.
I'll end it with the bottom line: I have had my V6 for 7 years now. I'm trapped in debt so I can't switch cars for a while. Not a day goes by that I don't wish I had waited until I could afford a GT. There is NO WAY the V6 is worth the small economic advantage over a GT, considering how much fun you're giving up.

The V6 can be modded too and the V6 block is stronger than the GT block ;)

The V6 can be modded too and the V6 block is stronger than the GT block ;)

So I've heard. 4-banger Mustangs can be modded too; with enough money thrown at them they can smoke a Terminator. Anything can be modded with enough money. Put it this way, you can "mod" a guy to look just like a woman, "IT" may even make it into playboy if you spend enough money on the mods, but "IT" just ain't the same.:nice: I'm talking stock, or lightly modded with a few basics like exhaust, intake, gears, etc. the V6 pales next to the GT.

Throw about $3k at a V6 and you will be as fast as a GT, but you still won't have the torque or exhaust tone of a V8.

Gas mileage: my V6 routinely gets 24-26 MPG in mixed driving, with occasional immature driving. V8s can get very good mileage on the highway with the engine just loafing along at low RPM. They'll be getting high teens in the city though.

I average about 17-18 mpg typically. I am also 17 and have a fair amount of times that i really get on it. My grandma has a 01 bullitt (a package for the gt) with a 5 speed that she told me gets 28 on the highway. The one time that i spent every bit of gas in my tank on the highway, i got 26 mpg cruising at 75-80.

Yes I was talking about newer cars, and you have a good point, if he could afford a new car, insurance costs probably aren't an issue. I certainly wasn't saying the V6 is the better way to go, but it is cheaper per year to own. If I didn't get mine for free, there's NO WAY I would have a V6.