Progress Thread 91 GT restore sitting 6 yrs-Fender dent?

• Sponsors (?)

Decided to go out and look at it tonight....found the problem right away, the coil wire was badly corroded at the cap end, took it off and on a few times to kinda clean it up and the car started and ran with its original, fixed computer ! I got a new Motorcraft cap and rotor on order at the parts store, it was even cheaper than the BWD crap. Need to dig out the original coil wire from my 89 and put in the 91.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't even use your damn list. I've been doing this every day all day for the past 37 years. I only realized I fixed its A9l a couple days ago, when I put it my 89 and it worked, so have been dealing w this no start since then, not a week ago.

Last edited:
I didn't even use your damn list. I've been doing this every day all day for the past 37 years. I only realized I fixed its A9l a couple days ago, when I put it my 89 and it worked, so have been dealing w this no start since then, not a week ago.
I am the creator of the list and I am 74 years old. I have been fixing cars for 56 years and 28 years of that time has been EFI Foxbody 5.0's.
It's time to swallow you pride and quit banging your head against the wall... The checklist works if you work it...

Reactions: 1 user
These cars are a pain in the ass. You fix one thing and something else goes bad in the same area you were working in. Especially vac leaks amd electric. Must be they are old and brittle. HemiRick is on his way to success

• Haha
I hate when people reply w/o reading 1st.....Jricher the fix was posted.
Now moving on to other things. Gonna get the alt rebuilt. The ABS needs a clockspring they appear to be hard to find. Does anyone know if a Dorman 525-201 can be adapted? The speedo is all wonky, The gas gas is wonky....today my task is putting in drivers door hinge bushing....what a bitch. For the most part these cars are easy to work on.

Last edited:
Easy big fella ....Go do your door hinge and tell us how you do. Thats a level five repair and takes a special kind of man
Its done, just when I was needing a 2nd person a neighbor stopped by !! I was hoping the hinge repair would completely close the gap I have between the front of the upper door frame and door body gasket but it didn't......What's the fix? Tweaking the window frame somehow?

Did a google search and found a post by GenCarthief that said raising the door striker would fix the window frame gap and it did help greatly. Now w a new bushing on the striker to pull the door in a little more when closed, it should fix it.

I just made a deal to buy 89 GT parts car for $200, The doors, hood, and GT rear spoiler are worth it to me.

Attachments

• 89gt2.jpg
    89gt2.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 89gt.jpg
    89gt.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 90
The hinge pin bushings are bronze, certainly not plastic. I did hurt the paint in a couple small spots but this car has much paint repair in its future....I think the smart plan is to just keep it white, since that was the most popular orig color, and fix, maybe repaint it.

Last edited:
Look, ricky, have some respect for the elders around here, jricher has been around here for 20 years and has banged on his key board helping add info to the technical/how to thread. You? Ya ain't been here 20 weeks, you toss around your '37 years' in this or that but frankly your disrespectful attitude is not appropriate.
Think about backing it off a degree or two.