A9L

My mechanic said thus is what it is. He cannot find one and neither can I. This is my only car so I cannot send it off. I've also call one that is local who works on them, and he doesn't do 92
You're going to need another daily driver. A 30 year old car is not a DD.

Yes I'm in SC and go to a mustang shop. All he can come up with is newer models. That's why I'm trying.
You need a Fox Body shop.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

My A9L is going out. I only have what is in my car. I can not find a rebuilt one. Any advice I have a 92, 5.0 5 speed GT. Thanks
The computers are reasonably reliable, usually the problem is the sensors and wiring. Here's wher to start...

Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

When I first bought my computerized Mustang, it was giving many different, random codes and could not make it through jrichker ‘s surging idle checklist. Ford still had some mechanics old enough to be trained in EEC IV, so I paid for some help. They replaced the computer with a take out, and it only showed the missing emissions equipment, and it stopped running as rich as the Exxon Valdez. The engine computer repair place verified it was the standard capacitors. And no, my rebuilt one is not for sale.

I would like to see a list of codes or troubleshooting steps that point to the EEC as the issue. :shrug:

Although it does happen, it's rather uncommon for an A9L to partially work. If there are specific symptoms that point to the EEC as being at fault, those symptoms might make the repair of the unit a pretty simple affair.

@jrichker

No need to pay hundreds of dollars for a used ECU that may also be on its way south. Swap your ailing one for a refurbished unit from an ebay vendor. I've recently gotten two that way. One an A9L and the other an A9P. Both are working fantastic and each were about $100. They include upgraded capacitors that are better than the stock ones.

Here's the company I used

I think that’s who fixed my computer and ran it through the tests. I got Quick turn around and both intelligent and intelligible communication from them.
No need to pay hundreds of dollars for a used ECU that may also be on its way south. Swap your ailing one for a refurbished unit from an ebay vendor. I've recently gotten two that way. One an A9L and the other an A9P. Both are working fantastic and each were about $100. They include upgraded capacitors that are better than the stock ones.

Here's the company I used

It is likely the capacitors. I looked at several YouTube videos, ordered the capacitors (maybe 10 bucks for the 3 capacitors and extras) and did it myself. I have zip background in electronics. You can do it.
we need a snickering emogi.
always check the date stamp at the top left corner of the post box, I wish members would post what they did to fix their issues.

It is true that a novice can do it. U Tube has videos, and the capacitors are easy to access. I have no experience, but if I had to I could do it. Just putting it out there for future views. Save lots of money, and do it yourself

dig up thread.gif

Well since we're on the subject anyway, the ECUExchange updates and checks out everything and makes sure it's all good, worth the money spent. Why take the time to swap a capacitor(s) and not know if something else is about to go bad?