Fuel Jumping, lost power, Back firing, only has 20 psi fuel pressure

Case4

Dec 27, 2023
Tennessee
I have a 92 G.T, and recently it has lost power, it's got a aftermarket fuel pressure regulator on it and it won't go past 20 psi, and it's started jumping and back firing, I need help, any advice would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet. So, tell us more about the circumstances. Did you have greater than 20 psi in the past? If so, what was it at idle? Did the running problems result with the fuel pressure change? If so, it could be a few things. One, it could be a failed regulator. If it’s not adjustable, you need to verify engine vacuum, since that’s what makes it work. If all of that checks out, it could be something restricting the fuel flow; filter, something in the tank, etc.

But first, we need to know the FPR type. Remember, these engines are know vacuum leakers, since there are so many places you can have one. So, make sure it’s not a bad vacuum leak before you spend money on parts. Good luck.

could be a number of things

clogged fuel filter
clogged fuel line
regulator gone bad
bad fuel pressure gauge

I would check your plugs to see if they are showing signs of running lean

You can start by disconnecting the fuel pressure gauge from the regulator and hook up an external other gauge to confirm the FP. My guess is the FP regulator diaphragm is bad or a clogged fuel filter.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to Stangnet. So, tell us more about the circumstances. Did you have greater than 20 psi in the past? If so, what was it at idle? Did the running problems result with the fuel pressure change? If so, it could be a few things. One, it could be a failed regulator. If it’s not adjustable, you need to verify engine vacuum, since that’s what makes it work. If all of that checks out, it could be something restricting the fuel flow; filter, something in the tank, etc.

But first, we need to know the FPR type. Remember, these engines are know vacuum leakers, since there are so many places you can have one. So, make sure it’s not a bad vacuum leak before you spend money on parts. Good luck.
Yes in the past I run 45 psi, whoever had the car before me cut and removed alot of stuff that I'm not sure of, there's a lot of plugs not hooked up, but I can't find where they go.