Engine Oil pressure issue

Cg’s 347

Jan 15, 2024
CT
I have an 89 LX and a buddy and I went through the whole thing about 15 years ago. It’s a 347 with a billet cam and aluminum heads that we built. Motor ran strong with no issues. Unfortunately it took a backseat as I had my first child. It sat for 7 years without even being started, I know!!! So recently I wanted to get it running and I pumped out the gas tank, changed the fuel filter, oil and filter, fogged the cylinders and then removed the distributor and primed the oil pump with the appropriate drill and tool turning counter clockwise. Per my 7 year old I had 50 psi at my gauge. At this point the rear end was on Jack stands. I went to reinstall the distributor and it wouldn’t go in no matter what I tried. So once I felt it grab the driveshaft I used a rubber mallet and an extension and tapped an extension on the bottom of the dizzy and it was eventually convinced to go in. I am still having issues, think it needs new injectors. But a shot of ether and it roared to life. But as it ran for a second I noticed no oil pressure.

That had me scratching my head. So I lowered it off the Jack stands and removed the distributor and spun the driveshaft and no oil pressure. I visually inspected inside the hole and don’t see an issue. I removed the oil pressure sending unit and turned the drill and no oil was moving. Don’t know what to do next? Any help would be appreciated! Not a novice but been away for a while.

• Sponsors (?)

You should never need to persuade the distributor to install it. You may have damaged the pump or it could be coincidence and either the pump is bad or the pickup is blocked.

Bottom of distributor gear should not rest on this:

1705420054767.jpeg

Distance between the base of the distributor and the gear is in Figure 1 of the following:

1705420315313.jpeg

Regardless the distributor was removed from this engine and it fit fine before and you changed nothing so it should drop right back in with no persuasion. Sometimes it requires dropping the distributor in a tooth or two off and then slowly pulling it up until you can roll the rotor back one tooth and drop it in and repeat this until it is back in the correct position. I have even had to start completely over and put the engine on TDC and drop the distributor in after that.

Some of the aftermarket pump shafts require shortening but its not that common and again it fit before so I am almost sure its an alignment thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Connect the oil pump primer shaft and turn it by hand. There should be some resistance. Freewheeling means something is broke.

Just for fun, turn it backwards for a minute, then turn it correctly. It would be hard to imagine the screen is plugged, and if the shaft broke, it would fall into the oil pan. It’s such a simple device, it’s hard to imagine what could have happened.

My vote is on a damaged oil pump. Like @AeroCoupe basically said, you don't need to "persuade" the shaft for engagement. I believe that the chances are good that the bottom plate of the pump isn't sealed anymore. You might get lucky if you drain the oil and and use an inspection camera to look through the drain hole, but I think there's a better than average chance you'll want to pull the pan and inspect it closer.

• Agree
I put the drive shaft tool on the drive shaft by hand and turned clockwise for half a turn and then counter clockwise and I felt resistance. I made several circles and it felt and sounded fine.

Yea, what I was looking for in the pic was evidence of a missing pump shaft, but it appears to be there. And, since the pump didn’t fall into place, but required persuasion. While it felt to you like just a tight fit, I agree with the guys; it’s got to be broken. If you don’t have a camera to inspect it, removing the pan is the only satisfactory way of knowing.

I know it’s a bummer, but we’d be leading you astray to tell you anything else.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Today my buddy told me of a YouTube video with a guy diagnosing no oil pressure. He removed the pan and changed the pump and found no issue with the pump, pickup tube etc. and replaced with new and still no oil pressure. In the comment section someone said to change the filter. He changed the filter and boom oil pressure!

So I purchased an oil filter but not the requested FL-1A instead whatever brand they had on hand. I changed the oil filter tonight and turned the drill with the pressure sending unit unbolted and oil started flowing. So I bolted up the sending unit and taped my phone up in the car, running the drill at lower rpm and the gauge read 50 psi! Anyone?

Today my buddy told me of a YouTube video with a guy diagnosing no oil pressure. He removed the pan and changed the pump and found no issue with the pump, pickup tube etc. and replaced with new and still no oil pressure. In the comment section someone said to change the filter. He changed the filter and boom oil pressure!

So I purchased an oil filter but not the requested FL-1A instead whatever brand they had on hand. I changed the oil filter tonight and turned the drill with the pressure sending unit unbolted and oil started flowing. So I bolted up the sending unit and taped my phone up in the car, running the drill at lower rpm and the gauge read 50 psi! Anyone?
I have read more than one story about Fram oil filters doing this... The cardboard ends inside the filter come loose....
NEVER use a Fram

It's sounding like you didn't change the oil first before getting back into this project.
After 7 years other than a new battery and changing out the gas, it would have been one of the first things i did.
If you parked it running and it had oil pressure and it wasn't kept outside without a hood, i would have just pulled the coil wire and cranked it over with the key.

I changed the oil, it was one of the first things as well as fogging the cylinders and I primed the oil pump briefly. It was all working but I only did briefly. I guess once the oil filter filled and after cranking it over when it finally fired I realized I had no oil pressure and shut it off.

That’s when I started checking oil levels and pulled the distributor and couldn’t find anything and finally changed the new filter and it worked.