Abandoned Cobra

Spook302

Jun 21, 2005
Durango CO.
So I have a friend that just shipped off for a four year sea trip in the navy. But two years ago He blew a clutch in his 96 cobra. He left it to sit in a apartment complex the day it happened, He pulled the plates on it a year ago and just let it sit there. now he has shipped off and it will soon get impounded and be gone forever. he said he didnt give a **** but had lost the title and just took off. The other day someone keyed it,smashed out the tail lights and bent the wiper arms. I know now that in its condition it will get towed out of there. The question I have is how do I get a title for this car. I wont be able to get ahold of this guy and by the time I would the car will be gone. I am going to tow the car to my house with the help of my buddy who drives a tow truck. What would you do?

• Sponsors (?)

I'd Rather keep it as a cobra as far as the title goes, But i could always buy a gt that has a blown engine or something and swap everything from the cobra over. But I wont have a bill of sale, Colorado doesnt use them. How do i just show up to the dmv and say look this car was abandoned by the owner 2 years ago what do I do?

If you still have contact with him have him get you a Special Power of Attorney.

Thats one that only deals with working specifically with that car. Once you have that you can do every thing the legal way to get the title and registration taken care of.

The POA will cost him nothing, all he has to do is go to his legal office with the info on the car... including the VIN.