AC Problems

bhunt

Apr 17, 2006
I bought a 2000 v6 about half a year ago, and never bothered to check the AC before I bought the car. I just recently realized that my AC hardly even works and caused my car to do some weird things. When I turned the AC on, the air wasn't warm, but it wasn't anywhere near cold either. I would keep it on Max AC and the fan on high and never even get down to a comfortable temperature. I also started to notice that while I had the AC on, when I was stopped at a red light, once and a while the engine would just rev up. Upon further inspection, I realized that while I had the AC on, the compressor would kick on and off every few seconds. The load / unload on the engine was causing the revving. I tried to read up on some other threads about similar problems, and I thought that maybe recharging it would do the trick. I bought some recharge kit from Pepboys, and it showed that the pressure was a little on the low side, but even after getting it up to the recommended pressure, it's still not working correctly. The compressor still kicks on for about 3 seconds, and then off for about 5 seconds. Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions on what the problem is?

• Sponsors (?)