Advice on 95 cobra

cappy

Apr 15, 2010
Hey folks, I came accross this car on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd...48&item=150700110940&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I wasn't going to post for fear of sounding like such a noob but then I ran into a thread about how this forum has 'slowed down' a bit and thought some may want to give their 2 cents and discuss a bit. Anyhow, what do you think of this car? I already have a pretty much stock 91LX w/ a hesitation issue but would love to step up at some point by buying another or building mine up a bit. To me it seems that if you want a car like this now a days, buying a car w/ a lot of it done is the way to go since there are so many out there. Plus I'm not much of a mechanic so building it myself isn't really going to happen. Do you think this car would be too much to take care of or run for someone who has just done brakes, maintenance and water pump work? I know it does not have cats and maybe not a smog pump either, so it probably wouldn't pass emissions, which my state has...would you consider that a deal breaker? Is it a big deal to try to fit a catted mid pipe w/ the long tubes? I'm not REAL serious about the car at this point but just wanted to see what others thought of it. If you bid on it good luck!!! Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

My first issue is the price. While I don't know what low-mileage Cobra's normally go for in FL, but $13k seems really high. There's some surface rust that I see from the photos, I personally wouldn't expect that from a FL car but since I haven't lived in FL I couldn't tall you if that was normal. What are the emissions laws in FL? The AutoCheck report implies the car has no history after 2006. This could mean the car has been sitting for about 5 years, or the owner only drove it on the track (called off-road), or the record is incomplete.

I'm more apt to think the car was a trailer queen, hauled on a trailer to race tracks. If so, you'll likely have to undo some of the work in order to make it street legal. While it looks really sweet, I wouldn't go for it myself.

I saw some mild rust where he modified the inner fender and on the shock, and a little on the gas tank shield. I grew up in Florida, and Florida cars generally don't get rust problems........dead hooker residue, yeah, rust, no.

A car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I know I would drop $13K cash on that car in a heartbeat. It would cost you $50K to make that car. If you got that car for $13K, you've already made your money in parts. It's got Canfield Heads and an R block for starts. Those parts aren't even available anymore, and are highly coveted. I can't pop my hood at a car show without somebody asking me if they can buy my heads. I'm telling you, it's never been a better time to get into the going fast market. I would never buy a stock Mustang and build it up again. There are so many wicked Mustangs just like that one on the market. You can buy someone else out of their heartache for nothing these days.

Also, I don't know what the guy has bought or sold on ebay before, but he's got a 100% positive feedback on 160 transactions. That's pretty good. Might want to look through his history, and feedback. If he's sold a lot of high price items, I'd drop the $500 deposit quick before someone else snaps that up.

It's going to need a few things, like a new clutch and transmission, but you are still way better off than trying to build a similiar car from scratch.

Kurt

@ cappy...I agree with Chythar AND revhead347. I think the car is in excellent condition and looks like it was very well maintained. On the one hand, I do like a stock car. Mainly because I'll know everything I did to it and I can build it exactly the way I want to. However on the other hand a car that is already built will save you time, money, headaches, and the long painful trial and error process. As far as this car tho, I would pass on it because you can get a newer car in pretty good condition AND modify it (s/c, bolt-ons, etc...) for that same price or maybe even less. I'm not saying you're gonna duplicate this setup for that price because you can't...or you'd be hard pressed to. But I have seen New Edge cars in VERY nice condition going for 5-8K. Or you can take that money and use it as a down payment on a new Mustang. This car tho is for someone who is looking for this type of setup IMHO.

Sweet ride for sure and I think Kurt nailed it....that car has alot of money tied up in it. Having to smog it is a pain so you need to throw some money at it right off and you dont turn your own wrenchs so plan on paying someone.

Is your wife gonna freak when you buy and then need to dump a grand or 2 into it....:eek: If your not into wrenching then I'd buy something more turn key myself.

My car aces emissions with 2 simple Magnaflow cats and no smog pump or EGR. The smog pump just gets the cats up to temp. By the time you drive to the emissions place they will be up to temp on their own. The Emission standard goes down every year the car has aged, so I seriously doubt you would have any trouble getting a 94' to pass. Unless your state physically inspects for a smog pump, which I think only California does, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Kurt

The cutting on the passenger fender apron scares me. Looks like it was cut with a Sawzall. Also they couldn't manage to attach the panel under the steering wheel correctly. Obviously that car has been painted before. They should have dusted the aprons and strut towers a little.

Also they couldn't manage to attach the panel under the steering wheel correctly. Obviously that car has been painted before. They should have dusted the aprons and strut towers a little.

I have that issue on my GT - the support peg is busted on that side, so the plastic panel won't sit flush. That plus the sawzall job on the right apron show to me that the previous owner may not have paid attention to all the details. :shrug:

thanks!

Hey thanks for the input!! you all have hit on things that crossed my mind. Man...couldn't figure out how to do multiple quotes in the same reply!

Didn't notice the paint difference in the engine bay on the fender nor the loose dash, thanks for pointing that out 95vert. I don't think the price is too bad...that's some great hardware like revhead said. Rev...why are you suggesting a new transmission, the tranny listed isn't really up to snuff? or are you looking at it that it's better to anticipate changing it considering it has probably been used hard and is worn? Thanks for telling me about your car and passing emissions.

Well thanks guys:nice:, like I said, I'm not real serious about trying to buy it, and one reason is that I'm re-building my garage right now and it occupies my time. I should just do it and park it...put the 91lx i own now for sale... and go on...but I just drag my feet and dwell on decisions:bang:...wish I wasn't like that sometimes but I am. And we know there are a lot of great cars out there, another will pop up if I'm not ready right now. Really like the hardware on this one though...and its a cobra, so it has the upgraded brakes and pretty much looks stock which i love, especially this year! We shall see...thanks again guys...glad I posted now!!

It says it has a World Class T-5, which is a stock transmission for a Cobra. The torque of that engine way exceeds the torque rating of a World Class. You would probably at least be looking for a T-5 with straight cut gears, or one the 3550 series transmission, like a TKO-600. Or an automatic, if you want to go that route.

Kurt