Advice on A/B exhaust install

Jinx

I like cats, cats like me. Cats and I fully agree.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 2, 2003
Cat Country
I'm planning on putting a Flowmaster axleback on this weekend. It seems pretty straight forward (not to mention easy). I was just wondering if there are any install issues that they don't advertise. Like fittment issues, hanger rods getting stuck, or clamp bolts breaking. You get the idea.

also, will I have to put the rear up on jackstands or can this be done without? The vehicle still sits at factory height. 2005 V6 Vert. (Mom's car) :)

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I have the same axle back. I installed it without jack stands although in retrospect it may have been easier with. I can't say I had any fitment issues but I did check the clearance around the rear bumper to make sure nothing was rubbing. Other than that a week later I had to crawl up underneath and retighten the nut on the clamp that connects the muffler to the main exhaust pipe. If you have a torque wrench figure about 60lbs.

proeditor said:
I have the same axle back. I installed it without jack stands although in retrospect it may have been easier with. I can't say I had any fitment issues but I did check the clearance around the rear bumper to make sure nothing was rubbing. Other than that a week later I had to crawl up underneath and retighten the nut on the clamp that connects the muffler to the main exhaust pipe. If you have a torque wrench figure about 60lbs.

Thanks for the tip on re-tightening the bolt :nice:

Install is complete. All went pretty easy. The only downside to the install was that it was so freakin' hot outside, that it was actually cooler under the car. Ford put enough 4x4 into the suspension that the swap took place without ramps or jackstands. No fitment issues and no rattles.

Mom likes the way it sounds now (but it's still not as sweet sounding as the V8). I'll be sure to have her bring it back by in a few weeks to check the bolts.

Thanks for the input fellas.:nice: