Advice on buying new c4

palerider94

Feb 21, 2006
Little bummed today. Dropped new 347 and rebuilt trans in my 70 Mustang last week.

Trans rebuild was done by a buddy of mine. Good mechanic but never done a trans rebuild. Heard c4s were easy so I figured what the heck. Plus we had shop manauls and trans rebuild book. First time I took car out - couple miles shifted fine. Well took car for ride and from drive car would not upshift had problems going to 3rd. In drive car would start out in 2nd and never shift up to 3rd. Check linkage, vaccum, valve buddy and finally dropped pan. Fluid was dark red. Pulled valve body - no stuck valves. Since fluid was a dark red. I'm thinking the clutch pack burned up.

In any case neither one of us are trans guys. I'm thinking I should just buy a new one. Part of the problem is that it is a 67 trans. Had a custom torque convertor done would like to keep. Plus would like to reuse bell housing instead of trying to source or buy another one.

Was looking at TCI and they only sell 70 + c4s.

Opinions or advice is welcomed.

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks will check it out. Pulled it out today and took to a friend of a friend shop. I'll see what the damage is but in any case I can buy a complete rebuild for 900 to 1100 dollars. I'm hoping nothing serious. The torque convertor I already bought for 67 is the biggest constraint. Valve body or governor issue would be nice.