Advice on Cams and P & P Heads

01mgvert

Jan 12, 2004
I've pretty much exhausted the performance bolt-on mods. I would like to stay n/a so my next mod will probably be custom cams and polished & ported heads. What else will I need with these mods? Is the stock fuel system sufficient, i.e., fuel injectors and fuel pump? Do I need to replace the stock MAF? I will have the car dyno tuned with my Predator when completed. I am hoping for gains of around 40 rwhp (25 rwhp for the cam and 15 rwhp for the heads). Is this realistic? Any advice or suggestions on this modification would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Your injectors and Meter should still be fine. On the cam selection...I would look at comp cams stage 2 or some VT N/A cams.....both companys make really good grinds for your car. The only thing that you will need to get is Some Valve springs..I would look at Comp Beehive's... Let me know if I can help with anything. On the heads I would look at getting some bigger valves..I Hope that has helped a little......good luck on it..the comp cams grind number is: XE270AH and the part number is: 102600. But either VT or comp is the way I would go on the cams. I have installed both companys cams and they both have turned out making good power. Good luck

outlandishstang said:
With the mods you have now you should still be able to use the stock injectors.......What do you Dyno now!?

Before the Magnaflow catbacks and Steeda CAI, I dynoed at 249 rwhp. With these mods, I'm probably around 260-265 rwhp. I'm hoping that the cams and heads put me over 300 rwhp.

Your MAF should be fine. Here is some interesting reading by someone who knows: http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?threadid=25092&highlight=maf

However, the injectors are an odd thing. Some guys with p/p heads and cams have needed to go to 24s. Also, the current thing many of them are doing is going to 30s if they are staying N/A. Its easier to make a big injector act like a small one through tuning than vice versa. Plus, it gives you some room to grow.

nickthegenius said:
Your MAF should be fine. Here is some interesting reading by someone who knows: http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?threadid=25092&highlight=maf

However, the injectors are an odd thing. Some guys with p/p heads and cams have needed to go to 24s. Also, the current thing many of them are doing is going to 30s if they are staying N/A. Its easier to make a big injector act like a small one through tuning than vice versa. Plus, it gives you some room to grow.

Thanks for the link. I'm thinking that 24 lb. injectors will be sufficient. I'm not sure how much more I can grow short of a power adder.

Also, I haven't heard from anyone about the fuel pump. I'm assuming that the stock pump will support 300-320 rwhp. Is this right?