AFR165 with FRPP E cam

• Sponsors (?)

It should always be checked, but with AFR165s, you should be fine. I don't know about the 185s. My AFR 165s were run with a cam that had 5.5" lift intake and 5.6" on exhaust, 224/228 duration at .050, and 111LSA. That's more aggressive than an E-cam and it ran fine with 1.6 rockers. That was my first personal build and I didn't check the clearance, but it worked out.

oh, to the second guy, I'm sorry I can't answer based on personal experience, but it was my understanding that AFR185s require piston notching, which any machine shop should be able to do for you.

I thought this site was about mustangs.

I'm not sure I get it...

5.5" lift intake and 5.6" on exhaust

You mean you had more valve lift than you had stroke? :eek:

Just kidding buddy, I realize you meant .550" and .560"

oh, to the second guy, I'm sorry I can't answer based on personal experience, but it was my understanding that AFR185s require piston notching, which any machine shop should be able to do for you.

The 185s have a 2.02" intake valve, which on an inline head, usually means notching will be necessary, BUT I have heard people claim to successfully run them without notching. It all depends on the cam there.

Yea, I mean you're talking about a ~.2 increase in CR between the two. So there would probably be the possibility of a gain. What I was getting at though, is it's not like you're going to have to run race gas with the 58cc when you could get away with 87 octane in the 60cc. The difference is marginal between the two, so don't beat yourself up over it. Stock chambers can be anywhere around 61-64ish cc. Go with the 58, enjoy the little bit of CR it gives you, and have fun.