Aggrivating ignition problem Please help

bluestang2.3

Jun 29, 2007
I have a 91 hatchback 2.3 EEC IV, auto trans with 286,000 miles on it. Last month I noticed a problem with my tach and loss of power (like there's a whole lot to begin with) :Þ

The tach would register ½ of the actual rpm's, the engine would run rough and there's a definite power loss. Eventhough the tach would say 500 rpm's, the engine is still going at 1000, but rough running and I can hear a chugging of sorts out of the exhaust. Both coils are firing at the same voltages when it happens or when it doesn't. I did the wiggle test on all sensors, modules and cleaned all the connections but it doesn't change anything and still randomly occurs while idling, moving, full throttle, ½ throttle, whatever. There's no set weather or temperature occurances for when it happens and could be days, weeks, or minutes between them.

The code that popped up was an erratic P.I.P. (code 14)(Crank Sensor) and igintion coil 1,2,3 or 4 (code 224)circuit failure. I replaced both coils and condensors and the crank sensor and it still randomly happens. In case I got a bad C.S., I exchanged it for another and the same thing happens. The PIP code no longer pops up, but the coil code 224 does when this happens. When this happens I've pulled the rear off and it runs even rougher, pulled the front one off and very little change. When the car is running smooth and I do it, it's the same.

Any insights would be great HEEELLLLPPPP

FYI I have done several mods to it, but well before this started happening. The mods I did are as follows: Custom header with performance exhaust, capped off EGR, IAT "chip", accel supercoils, C.A.I.. The coils were done after this started, but the others well before this.

Again-any help would be great- Thanks-Jeff

• Sponsors (?)

Thank you for your suggestions. I replaced it about 100k ago and figured it would've lasted longer. The first time it went out; everything just quit. With the crank code present, and being original, I replaced it instead. I'm not going to bother with an aftermarket ignition module again and have ordered a new one from Ford.

I've never heard of one of them "freaking out," only failing outright. Thanks for the help guys!!

BTW- Yes, 286k and rising :)

crap!!! problem is back

To answer a few questions, I really don't have an oil preference, but generally use Mobil 7500 high mileage 5w30. Of course I change it every 3000 and have the tranny flushed every 40K. I've been doing so since I bought it in late '90 and haven't had any major mechanical issues other than the bolt on replaceables. It is the original tranny and engine (no rebuild yet.) I can tell it's getting a bit tired since it doesn't like pulling my boat around like it used to, but still runs fine with no rattling or knocking. I do get a lot of funny looks towing a 16' boat with my stang, but they're just jealous I think :þ

P.S. I have added a HD tranny cooler to help in that aspect. I've heard these tranny's are a bit junky, but knock on wood, no problems as of yet.

Now to the crappy part-- I changed the ignition module on Monday and it hasn't acted up until this morning and I had the same tach crap-rough running power loss. I'm planning to take the boat out this weekend on a hefty roadtrip but I can't until I figure this out. Just in case I don't have it fixed, I'm putting a hitch on the Taurus but I really don't like driving that "slug on wheels."

Again guys any further insight would be of great help-Jeff.

286K and rising :)

perhaps you have beak in the harness between your ICM and your coil packs. I would check the plugs going to the packs first. I had one break last year and I exp. the same results you had. Are you using di-electric grease? without it you may not have a good connection or your parts could over heat and fail.

Well, I totally rewired from the ICM to the coils and so far so good. It did hiccup on me once for about 5 seconds but hasn't done it since. (650 miles later)

I didn't find any breaks in the old wires and I always use di-electric grease on all connections. I sure hope this solves it and once again thanks guys.

287k and rising :)