air check valve question

HO5POINTO1990

Aug 12, 2003
San Jose
My mechanic broke all my wires connected to the air check valve putting in one of my headers. Will this be a problem for smog? It isn't a problem for driving at least I couldn't tell the difference. It says all it does is: the air check valve is located in-line with the smog tube assembly. So I was wondering if those small wires are needed to pass smog or if they are strictly for computer use only. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, you mentioned "wires" but you meant vac lines, right? They get brittle over time so good to replace if you're concerned about emissions.

If you did mean wires, then those are connected to the solenoids that control the check valve and diverter valve. If the wires are not connected then vac won't be passed to the valves. You will get error codes if the solenoids are not working properly.

I am pretty sure they are vac lines, but according to what it does it makes no sense in having it put back together... If the smog pump is still pumping the exhaust from the h-pipe or x pipe back through the engine through those vac lines then it's just not getting back into the engine how is that a major problem? i mean it is just re-using bad air to the engine right? I will get them replaced if I get enough feed back that it is needed to pass california smog... I just know that I have a guy who will pass inspection as long as I have my cat's then i'll pass... I hope i get more replies thanks.

Actually, the first thing is you're not understanding the smog system. It doesn't actually take smog and put it into your system, heh heh, it takes fresh air and puts it into the system. The vac lines are used to open and close the valves, they don't carry gases, just vacuum (or suction) to move the valve open or closed. Here's the breakdown of the system:

The thermactor (smog) system sends fresh air from the pump to either the heads or cats. The bypass solenoid (on passenger wheel well) sends vac to the bypass valve (valve closest to the pump) to control whether the fresh air is sent to the atmosphere or down the line to the next valve which is the diverter valve. The diverter solenoid (the other solenoid on passenger wheel well) sends vac to the diverter valve (furthest from the pump) which has 2 hoses going off of it either to the heads (upper hose) or the cats (lower hose).

At idle the air is going to the heads to increase temps for cleaner emissions. Once the cats heat up, the fresh air is diverted to them in order to provide cleaner emissions.

If you look at the setup on your car while reading this you'll have it figgered out in no time.

Hope that helps.