air intake

cronin49

Banned
Aug 12, 2003
SC
Hey everyone, I just finished opening up my ass end with a Magnaflow catted x pipe and a magnaflow cat back. I didn't go with the Magnapacks because my '03 is a 'vert 5 speed and I am right out there in the open with the sound. Just the regular Magnaflows. I want to get more air into the engine on the other end. Right now all I have is a K&N filter with the snorkle removed. What size MAF and throttle body would be most benificial? As of right now my only mods are 373's and a Superchips Microtuner, other than the exhaust. Help me out, I respect most everyones opinion in this forum. I am open to other things besides the MAF and throttle body, NA only please, no superchargers! [ YET ] !

• Sponsors (?)

I went with the Granatelli Maf, it is a rebadged PRO-M- but I think
they do their own electronics. It comes with the new sensor on top,
with remapped fuel curve. It is 80mm, without the restriction in the center.
I felt an sotp difference with the Granatelli, and then put on an FRPP
70mm tb for better throttle response. Next is a JKL Motorsports ported and polished plenum (ported for the 70mm tb) and a Steeda intake spacer. But that is because I have the visual smog inspections here in CA,-- somewhere else and I would do the C&L or Accufab or Dragon or trick Flow plenum.

Read this:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c...tons/index.html

That article seems to dyno prove that a 70mm tb does help with a higher flowing maf --Average tq and hp improved throughout, not just peak.

I feel if you open up the maf a bit, then open of the plenum and TB,
they all compliment each other and move more air as a total package.
my 2 cents.

DHGBullitt4.6 said:
What I did was that I bought myself a densecharger. Get the full length system, you wont regret it.

This guy again??? Don't listen to this idiot. Get yourself a 80mm C&L or Pro-M MAF with a true flow intake pipe or a ceramic coated WMS intake tube, 70-75mm TB and an intake plenum!

BrianH said:
I went with the Granatelli Maf, it is a rebadged PRO-M- but I think
they do their own electronics. It comes with the new sensor on top,
with remapped fuel curve. It is 80mm, without the restriction in the center.
I felt an sotp difference with the Granatelli, and then put on an FRPP
70mm tb for better throttle response. Next is a JKL Motorsports ported and polished plenum (ported for the 70mm tb) and a Steeda intake spacer. But that is because I have the visual smog inspections here in CA,-- somewhere else and I would do the C&L or Accufab or Dragon or trick Flow plenum.

Read this:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c...tons/index.html

That article seems to dyno prove that a 70mm tb does help with a higher flowing maf --Average tq and hp improved throughout, not just peak.

I feel if you open up the maf a bit, then open of the plenum and TB,
they all compliment each other and move more air as a total package.
my 2 cents.

I'm in CA and I'm not worried about my C&L plenum at all. Doesn't look out of place or anything.

2000GTnoExtras said:
I'm in CA and I'm not worried about my C&L plenum at all. Doesn't look out of place or anything.

Yes-
I think you are right, in that the *average* smog tech would not notice
an aftermarket plenum. But I did not want to chance having to change
it out with the stocker...just me though..

I sacrificed some cfm flow for a my own "no worry" point of view, but I do not go the the track, so the trade off is acceptable to me.
I thougt a P&P'd plenum, with intake spacer would approach one of these
new high flow plenums, but I know it will not be quite as good.

decoy562 said:
Well how much power did you gain and how much money did you spend?

Do the research. the gains have been 6-11 RWHP and a good amount of TQ throughout the RPM range. It has been a great SOTP mod for me. Probably the best to date after the gears! I spent $400+ for the Accufab but the C&L can be had for a lot less! I just wanted the chromed look.