Air only coming out through top vents?

Blakthorn

Jul 24, 2004
US
Anyone know the cause of this, I switch my dial to both Mixed and put the heat on and it only comes out of the vents by the windshield...same thing with the air condition and any other setting, its not coming out through the regular vents that you can position, only the top ones by the window, why is this happening?

• Sponsors (?)

couple ideas. check the vac line and connection to the HVAC controls.

sometimes a gentle whack to the side of the HVAC box will help the blend door move.

good luck.

I agree with a broken vac line..

The heater controls are vacuum operated, so when a vac line brakes, the default settings kick in as "defrost," which are the vents blowing on your window and at your feet.

Could be a vacuum line in the engine compartment that supplies the dash switch or, if you have pulled the control panel lately, you might have pulled the vacuum line off the vacuum motor that changes the flapper from defrost/foot discharge to the vents - see the yeelow vaccum line in the pic below....

It can also be one of the lines that goes to the canisters under the dash. Tose sometimes get pulled off when you go to put in a stereo or if you're reaching around under there. I agree with checking them all, a line is most likely the problem.

tmoss said:
Goldmember - you have a leak too......

Yeah I'll need to get unde the dash and explore where the leak is coming from. When I did my heater core I didnt see any loose vaccum lines but the thought of having to do the heater core deterred me from bothering to do anything else. I'll check it over the weekend.

The lines inside the car don't seem to get brittle like the ones under the hood, so I would say a broken one is probably unlikely. The are attached to the back of the HVAC unit pretty good (with nuts), so coming out of there is also unlikely IMO. I would say the best place to check, is to look up under the dash (you may even need to remove the seats for this) and you will see two gold canisters. One is directly behind the glove box (you can see it by opening the box, and/or taking it down to see), and one is up above the gas pedal. The lines that connect to those simply slip on, and they also slip off just as easily when you're not trying to. Check those and see if they are open or connected (righto n the bottom). If one is open you will have to look around for the line and simply slip it back on. I would guess it's the harder one ot get to, because that's always the way...

I think its probably the one on top of the gas pedal because I never bothered to check. Its kind of annoying not having the main vents work because every morning I go to work I want some warm air to warm up my hands when its cold and its akward having to lean to the defroster vents and keeping your hands there, not to mention unsafe.

I think that might be my problem. I probably pulled it out a long time ago when I installed my adjustable clutch cable and steeda quadrant.

As for removing the AC. Well sometimes here in california it gets damn hot so I just have the AC for confort n stuff. Its very nasty to drive in mid summer heat without AC with sweat running down your face lol.

Goldmember said:
I think that might be my problem. I probably pulled it out a long time ago when I installed my adjustable clutch cable and steeda quadrant.

I would think so as well. That line is actually yellow, just like in the diagram Tom posted. Shouldn't be hard to find, but plugging that one back in can sometimes be a pain.

Good luck!

along with fixing the vents, this also did away wit ha popping problem i was having from the vacuum line being open, ever since i stuck some rubber line on teh broken gap the engine has been real smooth esp in 1st an 2nd gear....

TMOSS, thanks a lot bro I that yellow line on my car was disconnected as well.

It did not solve my problem though. I still do not get any air through the vents.

Tom do you have any other diagrams that cover all of the vacuum lines under the dash? Where else should I look?