Airbag System Code 6 Help!

FoMoCo17

Apr 1, 2011
Been working on my airbag system for a few weeks and found/fixed a few problems. Found an exposed wire, shipped diagnostic monitor off to have it fixed and rebuilt the clockspring (yes, I know its non-serviceable). Anyway, checked whole system out w DMM and everyhhing looks good except I'm getting a Code 6 still. The clock spring ribbon was torn up so I cut the bad section out and re-attached and ohmed everything out and it appears fine now. I did note green oxidation all along the conductor but was getting around 0.5 - 0.6 ohms per leg which is on the high side. I also ordered a used clock spring cuz they are getting rare and measured it and it has the same resistance per leg. No one is producing new ones and the aftermarket hasn't picked up manufacturing this part. Anyway, when I plug it all together I am getting the Code 6 and do not know why after ohming out every wire and checking for shorts ... just am not finding anything. Even if I remove airbag and jump out clockspring still code 6. If I eliminate the clock spring and airbag and jump the wires out still getting code 6. One of these tests should have put the resistance right where the module likes it I would thing and turn "off " the light. I searched for a new ribbon but cannot find a two conductor ribbon anywhere know that I was a bit on the high side by 0.1-0.2 ohms per leg. Just do not know what to do right now but gotta get this car on the street for the Summer. Any help would be appreciated so I can get this fixed decently and fairly quickly. Does anyone have Ford troubleshooting info for this ... I've used the veryuseful.com site extensively but other than clock spring replacement does not provide what I need. Ive also read that the light comes on over 5 ohms then 3.5 ohms and do not know what is correct but I really do not think Im close to that figure yet. Is there a way of testing the airbag resistance (which is supposed to be 1 ohm, supposedly) ... cuz I still get the light with or without it ... just a weird problem cuz nothing is showing up and all isssues so far have been addressed. The only thing I do not like is the 0.6 ohms per leg of clock spring with a supposedly specification of 0.25 -0.50 ohms but the system can't be that tight. With a 1 ohm airbag and 1.2 ohm (both legs of clockspring) that gives me 2.2 ohms when I've read I can go up to 3.5 ohms or 5 ohms ... so why is the Code 6 still coming on ... I cannot get it to go out no matter what testing I do. PLEASE HELP if you have some info or can be of assistance ... much appreciated! Complete Diagnostic Routine for a Code 6 would be helpful w any other spec's etc.

BTW: Its a 1990 Mustang GT

• Sponsors (?)