Alarm system

Therian

The Highlander
Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Waterloo, Ontario
Ever since I've had my car, after I turn it on, about 30 seconds later a very annoying beep sounds from behind the head unit. I'm not familiar with the factory system, nor aftermarket systems but I think I've identified where the noise is coming from. Can someone tell me if the white plastic unit in the photo is what I need to remove to get this noise to stop. I don't have a stethascope so I can't tell for sure and I don't want to cut any important wires. Is this a factory unit?

Attachments

• P6040091.JPG
    P6040091.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm pretty sure that's it...it looks factory though? There's two lines coming out of it (you can see them in the picture) they must go up near the ignition or something. I have no idea if it actually works or not. I wouldn't even know how to test it

what I do know is that the POS is so ****ing annoying that everyone that got in my car would ask "why does it sound like there's a microwave beeping in here". It will also start beeping once the car has been on for over an hour or so. and then beep every hour after that like clockwork. and it doesn't stop for a good minute and a half

I had my HU out not long ago and I don't recall seeing something like that back there. Almost looks like its part of the HVAC system, but... only one way to find out! Try not to destroy it when you take it out in case it actually serves a perpose other than a chick deterrant.

Be real careful about cutting things back there, as I think there is some OEM stuff that chimes (SRS module IIRC).

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Be real careful about cutting things back there, as I think there is some OEM stuff that chimes (SRS module IIRC).

Good luck.

you just scared the **** out of me.

hopefully someone else will be able to confirm what this piece is and whether or not I can cut it out. or what I can do to shut it up?

Adding to your statement Paul .... airbag chimes should come from the ADM .... a blue box located on floor pan .... behind shifter. So since you said the noise was coming from that area .... you may want to check that out, too.

Thanks for all the posts guys - you said what I guess I didnt. I dont know what that white thing is but since he wasnt super sure where the noise was coming from, I wanted to say that there is one item back there that should chime (Justin knew the color and exact location of the SRS module - I didnt).

My only long-shot lame thought is that if the white thing does make noise, it's some goofy old piezo siren from an alarm install.

Better to error on the side of caution when doing this stuff - easy to do when all the guys in here are on top of the ball. :nice:

JT I need your help on this one.

If the white box is indeed where the sound is coming from, if I can't get it out, could cutting the wires potentially interfere with the ignition? The two wires seem to go near the steering column and the noise is activated by turning the key to accessory (or starting the car). What do you think?

Therian said:
JT I need your help on this one.

If the white box is indeed where the sound is coming from, if I can't get it out, could cutting the wires potentially interfere with the ignition? The two wires seem to go near the steering column and the noise is activated by turning the key to accessory (or starting the car). What do you think?
Your mission, should you choose............. :D

If you really dont think it's anything oem or important, I'd say you can clip the wires (worst case is that you solder them back together). I would really like to actually trace the wires to make sure that an OEM wire isnt cut and this goof-ball white thing isnt wired in-series in an existing wire (which would disable that circuit. This is highly unlikely).

Can you get a meter on the wires at the white thing to see if one is 12volts and one ground?

Let's let this thread ride a bit to get input from others before you do anything though..........

Sorry to not be of more help.

I'll try to get the multimeter on it tomorrow. I will also check for any modules beside the keyless entry that would indicate a factory alarm system. other than that I suppose I'll look under the steering wheel for anything else, and possibly try to trace the wires a little better. is it easy to get the trim off from around the steering wheel?

I ripped-out my entire factory alarm system. There was nothing like that attached to it anywhere. The factory alarm system consists of a black square box with a big "FORD" logo on it, tucked in behind the fuse box. Most aftermarket units look similar, but don't have a logo on them. This could be some sort of buzzer associated with an aftermarket alarm, but that seems unlikely to me. The wires shouldn't be that hard to trace if its an aftermarket install.

Therian said:
is it easy to get the trim off from around the steering wheel?
Yep. Turn the ignition lock to run and use a long probe deal to push the pin so you can remove the lock. I removed the gauge cluster bezel (the black thing) to help with removing the top column cover. Then 3 screws IIRC for the column cover. It takes 10 mins the first time and 1 min the second time.

Good call - I dont care what a component is, I like to trace its wires first before removing it.
Good luck.