Alternator hits my Anderson Valve covers

a_k

Nov 12, 2004
Saratoga NY
Is there ANY way around this besides clearancing the valve covers, I really don't want to do this. I was thinking about shimming it out a little bit but that would probably throw the belt off. Any help would be appreciated:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Don't think your alone. I have a nice set of fabricated aluminum valve covers and while building the engine I mocked everything up to make sure it fit. Well the only problem was I didn't put the SC on, just the bracket. I didn't think there would be a clearance issue but now I need to cut up the valve covers to fit. So I know how you feel but I think you will have to clearance the valve covers just like me.

well this sucks so I have to take that side off and have someone cut it out and weld in a peice? I'd even buy a smaller alternator if I could or there isn't a bracket where I could relocate to where my air pump used to be?

Pic attached!

I had this problem with Fox covers and I just made up a spacer that rotated the alternator top toward the passenger fender. Just a little standoff that's the same height as the alternator top pivot and about 3/4" diameter with a flat steel bracket on the face that acts as the mounting point. I'll try to take a pic tonight and post it when I get home, but it's pretty simple.

Scott

DSCF2062-1.jpg

I needed just a tiny bit more room with my Fox vc's.

I did not want to grind down my alt electrical bolt or grind on my vc's.

I dug around in my spare can of bolts, washers, nuts, etc until I found three washers of the same size (80 thousands thick) and moved the alt away from the vc.

Been like that for over three years now.

Grady