Alternator Noise??

RollinSidewayz

Mar 3, 2004
My battery died today, so I replaced it. My voltage has been reading low for the past few days and I have UD pullies, so I saw it coming. I replaced the battery, the car started fine. However, the voltage is still reading 8.5-9, even when I get the RPMs up. So tomorrow I'm going to swap in a new alternator. Lately I have been hearing a whirring/squealing noise that is hard to locate (my engine is loud, so its kind of hard). My question is, does a failing alternator make any noise?

• Sponsors (?)

if the bearings are on the way out, they can make noise. you can get a mechanic's stethoscope and check it out. you can also use a long screwdriver. in any case, be very careful - dont hit anything that is moving or hot (fan blades, accessories, etc) with the scope/screwdriver or your body.

good luck.

After I fitted my UDP set I also got a noise from the alternator, but it was more of a rattle. I dont know if its the same as yours? Any way, it turned out it was the nut holding the alt pulley on which kept working loose. You are supposed to put them on with an impact driver but since I dont have one I used thread lock and as much torque as I could manage. That solved the problem.

Check the nut is tight on the alternator pulley.

Also squealing noise is a common problem when the belt gets loose. Check that the tensioner is operating in the correct range. If not then you might need a new and/or shorter pulley.

Best of luck.