Alternator prob. (Not on Stang)

MarcoCapone

Aug 6, 2003
I have a weird problem with by beater (93' Ford Probe GT (V6 5Spd))...

Sometime after a lot of driving the car wont restart, I mean I ear the starter's solenoid but the starter's motor doesn't turn (btw battery and starter are new and I just had the batt tested). I think my alternator is slowly dying, here is why...

Battery voltage (car off): 12,8 Volts
At idle (in neutral): ~13.4 Volts (this is with the motor running)
if I turn on AC,Radio,Headlight,wiper,etc...: the voltage drop at 12.4 Volts and sometime as low as 12.1 Volts...

I did the same test on the stang and voltage stay at around 13.9 Volts whatever I turn on..Did the same test on my mom '85 Firebird (voltage stays at 14.5 Volts) and on my bro's cars ('94 LHS and '91 Z/28<---camaro sucks(J/K)) same result fixed at ~14.2....

I came to the conclusion that my alternator was almost shot and it was slowly draining the batt...Am I right??? if I drive long enough I clearly see the batt gage slowly going down....

P.S.: What I find weird is if I let the car sit overnight It'll start up in the morning...Does a batt can "recharge" itself if it's not too musch discharged?!?!?

P.P.S.: Sorry for the long mistake filled post...I'm still learning English so feel free to correct me if you want!

• Sponsors (?)

A bad battery can make your alternator go bad. And a bad alternator can make your battery go bad.

+1 on the "take it to autozone" comment. They will check it for zero $