Alternator Question

aNotchAbove

Jun 7, 2006
This questions doesn't apply to my stang, but technically speaking is there a problem mounting a second alternator in place of another accessory, just to use the pulley so I can retain the stock belt length for the time being? Nothing will be connected to the back of the alternator, but it is in working condition. Thanks for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

Eh, just sounds like a uncontrolled electrical short waiting to happen since the "extra" alt will be trying to make power whenever the engine is running. I'd avoid it, but I'm sure others with a stronger argument will chime in.

It will be like running a car with a dead alternator. It wont do anything you don't like. I don't think it will throw sparks out like an electrical storm if that's what your asking. It will just look different and could possibly start a new trend in automotive. It sounds like more work than just getting an idler on their because you still have to mount the thing in line enough to not sling the belt for your everytime you get on the gas. But in theory I think your ok to use it as a free wheel without any negative results.