AM Radio or Cut out?

brtnstrns

Dec 19, 2003
Lewisville, TX
Just asking for some opinions...I wanna put a new stereo in my 66 coupe with a new face and stuff like that, so my question is, would ya'll get an original AM radio and put it in and then put the new face under the glovebox? or get someone to cut out the normal radio space and put the face in the normal spot? By the way I dont want to get one of those custom made radios that have a casette and then put a cd changer in the trunk, i've seen those and I don't like the way they look. And also unfortunatley there are no custom bezels for the 66's that are made for modern stereo faces.

• Sponsors (?)

brtnstrns said:
Just asking for some opinions...I wanna put a new stereo in my 66 coupe with a new face and stuff like that, so my question is, would ya'll get an original AM radio and put it in and then put the new face under the glovebox? or get someone to cut out the normal radio space and put the face in the normal spot? By the way I dont want to get one of those custom made radios that have a casette and then put a cd changer in the trunk, i've seen those and I don't like the way they look. And also unfortunatley there are no custom bezels for the 66's that are made for modern stereo faces.

Installing the radio in the glovebox is a popular mod and it saves the damamge of cutting a huge hole in the dash. Get one with a little remote and you'll never miss not having it on the dash in my opinion

Ahh it's the dash "original vs. mod" wars all over! Heh, hopefully it won't come to that again. You have several options: cut dash, remote location (glovebox, underseat), in a bracket under the dash, or one of those tape players that will fit and use the disc changer in the back. Personally, I just cut the dash because it was more convient and nothing in my car is close to original anyways. It's completely up to you, each way has it's pros and cons, I'm just listing the options. Good luck.

Oh crap...

We came to the conclusion that the owner should do as he pleases and if it is a matching numbers car not to do it.

Some people will now post pictures of what they have done in order not to cut the dash. Others will show you how it looks like cut.

Everyone knows I'm the type of just cut and be over with it. Just make sure you do a nice job.

Here we go again . . . .

Personally, I say it's your car so do what you want. Other's may not like it, but they don't have to live with it. Plus, a cut up dash is not impossible to repair if you know how to weld. That said, I do have to agree, if it's a rare, original car, it would be an awful shame to hack it up.

On a side note: oddly enough, my very first post to stangnet was asking basically the same thing. Only mine is a 67 so it's not quite as big of a deal.

-Chelle