Amateur Insurance question

1FAST6CYL

Oct 13, 2007
hey guys i fell like a little punk for askin this but i figure this is the best place for it......anyone out there no if insurance would b expensive on an 05 v6 for a 20yr old under his dads insurance as an occasional driver in new york.....rite now i drive a POS 1990 bmw and i pay close to nothin....like 110 bux a month.....any insurance people out there that can help out....thanxxxx.....

• Sponsors (?)

hard to say but I pay about 100 (full coverage of course) a month for mine and 40 (liability) for the 95 but i'm 23 and married....insurance did drop alittle but nothing significantly after I was married, if you have a clean record that'll help greatly as well. Good luck with everything though!

In Virginia, I paid about $100/month for my 2000 V6. My 2008 GT is about $135/month. Both had full coverage. I'm a 22 year old single male with a perfect driving record. I do also have a multiple insurance discount with Allstate since I have other insurance with them too, so that cuts about 5% off.

When I bought my 2000 V6 brand new, I lived in Massachusetts. My insurance in the situation you are looking at was about $1800-2000/year. My dad also has a perfect driving record. At least nothing in the past 20+ years. He had the best rate (driving record-wise) you could get in MA, plus a couple other discounts. So to answer your question directly, YES. My 2000 was still about 1300 or 1400/yr to insure in MA when I was 20, and it was a 5+ year old car by then.

If it is really your son's car and you put it under your name in an attempt to save money, some insurance companies will recognize what you are doing. Most I am familar with will not accept coverage that way. If they know it is your son's car, they will want him as the main driver. And that will cost.
But the best way to find out is call your agent.

New York and New Jersey carry higher premiums. I relocated from CA to PA and because I now live a rocks throw away from Jersey I would have received a higher premium if I drive there for employment purposes.

The Progressive agent was very nice and stated because I do not have full-time employment in NJ she would not make note of it; however, if I become employed full-time in Jersey it's going to cost me.

I also recommend that you seek online quotes from Progressive and Essurance. That will be your best bet for knowing what the premiums will cost you specifically.

Good Luck with the quotes. How did the Coupe you posted the link to turn out? Did you ever go look at it?

I'm actually an insurance agent for a living. Those variables are too broad to take a guess. Things that are going to influence that rate are, your driving record,age, maybe your GPA if in school, your parents drving record, maybe their credit, the zipcode that you live in, the fact that your 90 probably doesnt have physical damage coverage and your new stang will. Overall, the new (05+) stangs are not as expensive to insure as new stangs of years past. Best thing to do is call your agent and ask them to quote you. If you have the VIN # it will be even more accurate. DON'T compare yourself to other people because you dont know their driving record, coverages, discounts, credit rating, single or married, etc.

hahahahaha that was an awesome response stangboyy......and eighteight ur the eaxct response i was lookin for i knew it was inevitable to eventualy find an insurance guy on the forums....thanks for the great advice everyone extremely helpful now im gona get off my lazy ass and call my insurance broker

Using progressive.com or esurance.com will let you gauge the difference between the two cars. Just make sure that all of the other variables are the same, and it will at least show you a ballpark % increase or decrease even if the total premium doesn't match what you're paying. I lived on progressive.com when I was car shopping just to figure out which ones would cost an arm and a leg.

My premium was actually cut by about 40% moving from my 00GT to the 07GT. Not bad.

not so fast

Progressive is tough to gauge. They dont use ISO symbols to rate vehicles, they have their own rating system. Almost ALL insurance companies use ISO ratings. ISO is an independent company that rates all vehicles with a number. They use all factors in coming up with the number such as hp to weight ratio, cost to repair, safety, etc. The higher the number the more expensive to insure. My 99 GT is a 22. My dads 05 GT is only a 20, mostly for repair reasons. Once you get into the 20's it gets expensive. Also, they rate the most expensive driver on the most expensive vehicle automatically. However if you have multiple drivers with multiple cars, pay attention. So if you have progressive already it might not be that big of a deal. Just FYI for the thread.