Another Msd 6al Question

smkshw

5 Year Member
Feb 12, 2010
I had some issues the other day and I found that my msd coil failed,I ended up running it without the msd box hooked up for a day and set the timing to 14,the next day I hooked up the msd box, rechecked the timing and it was now at 10?,unhooked it,14?
I originally did my timing with the box hooked up,and set it to14?,but why is it different?,wich one do I go off of??,I never would have noticed if I didn't have the issue.

Spout was off I made sure

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The Dizzy is what changes the timing. If the spout connector was off both times when you checked (with and without the box) then you have a chain issue or a balancer that is going bad (or the dizzy wasn't properly locked down). If the box were a boost retard box then I'd say check that. The box otherwise just makes a stronger spark. (again unless you have more than a 6al)

The Dizzy is what changes the timing. If the spout connector was off both times when you checked (with and without the box) then you have a chain issue or a balancer that is going bad (or the dizzy wasn't properly locked down). If the box were a boost retard box then I'd say check that. The box otherwise just makes a stronger spark. (again unless you have more than a 6al)
no its a 6al 2....just has the 2 step rev limeter.....it literaly is dead steady and 14 disconected,and dead steady at 10 when connected?....i can time it to 14 when msd is hooked up?...just curious why the timming changes with or without?

thought a few ppl would have experience on this?...but anyway i called msd and i told them the same thing,the guy says that you do the timing with it hooked up,but no answer why it changes?

Ya its unhooked,used it for the 2 step rev but now the thing scares me,what if I time it to 14 with box and its 20!....I don't what the deal is!,but I have to find out if anyone else's is like that before I hook it back up!....if I do

Unless your engine is making bookoo power you really don't need an MSD box anyway. The stock ignition can handle more power than most people give credit for.
Heck mine is making 519 to the tires with the stock dizzy and coil. My tuner told me when I need to upgrade my ignition, he'll tell me.

I trust him and my car is insane to drive.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless your engine is making bookoo power you really don't need an MSD box anyway. The stock ignition can handle more power than most people give credit for.
Heck mine is making 519 to the tires with the stock dizzy and coil. My tuner told me when I need to upgrade my ignition, he'll tell me.

^ this.. MSD boxes on most n/a cars are a waste of money and often leave you with more problems than anything good. That is why you see them for sale all the time.

Reactions: 1 user

i figured that when i bought it but i wanted the 2 step rev limiter....you guys run limeter for launch?....if so what kind?

^ this.. MSD boxes on most n/a cars are a waste of money and often leave you with more problems than anything good. That is why you see them for sale all the time.
im not gona lie it runs better,had a slight miss at certain rpm,and ran a little rougher with it,thought it was the cam...wouldnt have noticed if this didnt happen,so one good thing at least

i figured that when i bought it but i wanted the 2 step rev limiter....you guys run limeter for launch?....if so what kind?
I just don't use one lol. Most starting lines are pretty flat and you shouldn't roll out. If you do have a little roll just stage last and barely trip the staging light. I just rev to desired launch and let it fly.