Any Difference Between the Mustang and Lincoln 5.0?

Realmongo

I prefer to be called "Evil Genius"
Founding Member
Oct 10, 2001
Western Mass
I was at the local pick and pull today and I was offered a complete 5.0 from a 1989 Lincoln which looked just like a Mustang 5.0. It had the same intake, valve covers and factory headers as the Mustang. Is this engine identical to the Mustang engine right down to the Mustang's roller camshaft and forged pistons? It would sure be cheaper than having to rebuild mine if it is.

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Depends.. Some lincolns did come with an 5.0 HO. I think its was the Mark series or something like that. If it came out of a lincoln towncar or a continital it is a NON HO 5.0 The differance between the non HO and HO -
firing order, injector size, throttle body size, exhaust manifolds, camshaft, heads. I'm sure there is more but that is most of the important differences. The block and the crank, rods, and i think pistons are the same. If the engine is complete, look at the injector color- if it is grey (14 lb) its non HO. An HO has orange (19 lb) injectors. Look at the spark plug wire routing to figure out the firing order. Non HO is 13726548
HO is 15426378
Basically if it turns out to be an HO it is the same as a mustang 5.0 and I would get it.
The non HO can be converted to an HO but it can be a pita to get all the correct parts.
Do a search of the threads here. there is some good info on here about this. Also check out coolcats.com or coolkats.com (never can remember the spelling) They have a great tech info section on the NON HO to HO conversion.

Reactions: 1 user
mustangmods said:
Depends.. Some lincolns did come with an 5.0 HO. I think its was the Mark series or something like that. If it came out of a lincoln towncar or a continital it is a NON HO 5.0 The differance between the non HO and HO -
firing order, injector size, throttle body size, exhaust manifolds, camshaft, heads. I'm sure there is more but that is most of the important differences. The block and the crank, rods, and i think pistons are the same. If the engine is complete, look at the injector color- if it is grey (14 lb) its non HO. An HO has orange (19 lb) injectors. Look at the spark plug wire routing to figure out the firing order. Non HO is 13726548
HO is 15426378
Basically if it turns out to be an HO it is the same as a mustang 5.0 and I would get it.
The non HO can be converted to an HO but it can be a pita to get all the correct parts.
Do a search of the threads here. there is some good info on here about this. Also check out coolcats.com or coolkats.com (never can remember the spelling) They have a great tech info section on the NON HO to HO conversion.

The intake looked just like a Mustangs and even said HO on it.

TheChevyEater said:
i dont believe theres much of a difference.. my LX came with a "SO" (standard output) 5.0 and my firing orders the same as a HO lol

What year is your car? I keep reading that only 86 and later cars had the windsor firing order and the 85 5 speeds. But I think my little brothers 84 GT350 has the HO firing order. So would that mean his 84 has a roller came?

I bought an 88 HO 5.0 out off a guy for 150. It was complete with everything. It came out of a lincoln and has been exactly the same as when i rebuilt my mustangs 5.0 HO. The computer was different though. Obviously it was for an auto, but i cant find the code to tell me which comp it is. I know where the code should be but it must be worn off. Anyways the Lincoln 5.0 i have is exactly the same tb to oil pump.

TheChevyEater said:
i dont believe theres much of a difference.. my LX came with a "SO" (standard output) 5.0 and my firing orders the same as a HO lol

What?

The 86+ 5.0 LX comes with the same 5.0 HO as the GT. There is no difference.

There is a difference between the 5.0 HP and the 5.0 SO. Heads, upper intake, throttle body, cam, firing order, exhaust is all different.

I own a 1989 lincoln town car and I would pretty much agree with Mustangmods about the HO/non HO differences, but the firing order is NOT different between the two engines. The lincoln Mark 7 does have the HO mustang 5.0 and the AOD tranny that are as far as I know, completly identical to that of the mustang.

Mustang5L5 said:
Sounds good to me. As long as all 8 cylinders are balanced it should be fine.

20psi is pressure at idle. My engine is 23psi at warm idle and 55 psi at WOT

Cool, thanks. I have a set of machine shop fresh E7 heads in the garage I could bolt onto it.

I went to the yard today to buy the engine, but when I read the actual tag attached to the engine it said it had only 16 pounds of oil pressure at idle vice the 20 pounds I was told, so I passed on it.

Ford stuck the 86 5.0 with 58mm TB and matching EGR, Smaller upper intke, crappy E6 Heads and flat top pistons in Crown Vic's grand Marquis, Town Cars, T-Birds, Cougars and LSC's for years after 86. They had to get rid of the parts somehow and stuck them in NON Mustangs after 86.

Upon visual inspection a 86 5.0 looks identical to an 87 or 88 sans the intake plaque.

Buyer beware!!!

86 HO is 25HP less that 87+:D

Now throw on a new TB, EGR spacer, Trick flow intake and some twisted wedge heads and your golden.

186eng.jpg

Attachments

• 186eng.jpg
    186eng.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 326