Any idea at why my car makes a weird noise at 2k RPM's?

AcE XBOX

Mar 26, 2004
Everyday when I leave in the morning to the gym my car makes a whisteling noise when it hit's 2000 RPM's. It does it in every gear. I havent tried 5th gear but from 1 -4 it does the weird noise. Im wondering if my tranny is gonna blow or if the clutch is burnt down to hell. Any ideas? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I got a '96 and mine does the same thing just when its cold. Does it for about the first 10 minutes of driving in the morning. It seems to be the worst in 1st and 2nd. I guess thats a good way to describe it- whistle like sound. I am just as curious as you are. Anyone have ideas??

Sometimes I just go out 10 minutes before I leave to start my car and let it idle and warm up ...and that usually eliminates the sound when I'm driving ...but I still would like to know what it is ...don't always have 10 minutes to let it warm up ...I hate hearing it :mad:

I don't think all you guys have the same problem. For the older stangs(5spd) it may be the throw-out bearing. Other whistles could be worn or debris in brakes or air intake sucking w/o silencer. Just trying to throw out some possibilites. More specific details would help. Like pushing the clutch or brake make the noise stop.

I agree with Jared306. Some more information as to exactly what you are doing when it makes the noise. Does it do it under accelleration, or when you take your foot off of the gas? Some whistling noises could be air intake for cars with modified intakes such as CAI or drop in K&N with out the air box. Whining could be the gears, maybe the fluid aren't warm enough to dampen the harmonics or the insulation, or seal for the shifter is loose or something allowing you to here more from inside the car. I wouldn't worry when it breaks, its mod time anyways. :nice:

I don't think it has anything to do with the air intake since it only does it the first couple accelerations of the day ...it almost sounds like something rubbing ..but has a really hollow whistle tone to it ...hard to describe ...does it at around 2,300 rpms just for a second as you pass through ...whining gears like stang9300 sounds like it could be it when its cold ..yea and I don't notice it when its in neutral and I rev it up ..just when I get going

My car is stock :( It only does it under acceleration when it passes 2k rpm's. It's jsut a brief whisteling noise. I still wonder what it is.

How do I change the fluids for the trnny?

I have an 04 and it does the same thing. The ford service guy over the west came out and test drove my car. He said it was normal and "characteristic of this engine" called it "air rushing through the I AC" that is as far as you'll probably get. He was a jerk, 1.. he would not let me go with him on the drive to pinpoint what I was talking about. 2. I then test drove 3 others on the lot and my buddys 01 and none of them made the noise. Yeah it "sucks" ....literally. He can direlict......

I think I know the problem

I have a 99 and have a hollow whine at about the same RPM. When it does it you can almost anticipate it. I was once told that it was a "harmonic vibration" on the heater core and that there was a "silent" recall to fix it. It doesnt do anything, it's just an intermittent vibration sounds kinda cool sometimes, others it is annoying.Don't know if is the same noise you are talking about.

check this out....

Vapor Management Valve Noise
may exhibit a high frequency air leak/rushing sound from the underhood/dash area. This may be caused by the vapor management valve mechanically grounding to an unseated stud mounting clip. To service, remove the vapor management valve. Reseat the stud mounting clips to the front right inner fender apron, and remount the vapor management valve without unseating the stud clips.

this may be it?

Just to make sure we have the same noise.... light sucking or whistle noise coming the from right side of interior starting at about 1900-2100 rpms, basically it comes and goes, more often when it is cold outside, under light throttle usually abruptly stops after rpm's go up to say 3000 maybe even sooner And a you can anticipate it because you can actually hear a very faint sucking noise stopped at idle.