Any ideas for a budget towing/trailer package?

Joe 5.0

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2002
Macomb, MI (metro detroit)
Ok here's the deal. My Cobra will have close to 500hp come spring, and will be on sticky tires. Its built pretty well, but as we all know stuff can break. I really would like to have that NOT happen 1.5hrs from home at Milan.

I'm set on eventually buying a open trailer, but wtf do I tow it with? I dont have anyone with a suitable towing vehicle I could borrow, and I doubt my Acura could handle it. I dont have space or funds for just a tow vehicle. And I def am not going to sell my Acura just to have a gas guzzling tow vehicle to drive all the time.

Any ideas?

I was thinking about going the Enterprise route, and renting a pickup to use for the track day, and just throwing on a ball. I dont know if their trucks have the tow package installed though.

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like a killer combo ... n/a?

when i towed my car up to the place where my engine is being installed, i rented a trailer from u-haul. i cost me about $60 for a day. and my friend has an old f-250 that he doesn't use everyday, so i was able to borrow that to tow it

u-haul also rents car dolleys that cost less. they also have trucks that are already setup for towing.

I would never go to the track w/o a trailer now. I busted the car once a few years back and it was 250 to rollback it home.

Do you have a buddy or place you could keep a trailer and tow vehicle together? Just drive to it load up the car and go. I am lucky I can keep mine at my parents. I live in a townhouse.

If you dont have to tow on hills then most any 1/2 ton truck will tow it OK. Not optimal but it would get you by. And old ford/gm or dodge 2wd can be had pretty cheap. And many times I have seen trailers come with a tow vehicle as a package.

i would def. get rid of the acura for a truck..you can use it so much more i got a 2001 silverado ext cab and you can put a car seat in it seat 4 people and have a bed for all your sit motors tools etc. and also 4 wheel drive if i need it. i get like 20mpg!!!!! if you look around i found mine for $9000 way better then a acura in the long run.

This is why I bought an Explorer. There are much cooler cars out there Id rather own but for under 30K I have a very versatile vehicle that can tow over 6000 lbs, haul 5 passengers, and carry a lot of luggage in an enclosed area. Plus I still get 18mpg in the city and over 24mpg on the interstate.

Your only options if you dont want to buy is to either rent or use a friend's vehicle.

GET A TRUCK!!!

There's nothing like the versatility of a truck. And how's the mileage on your Acura? My Powerstroke (manual) gets 21-25 mpg on average. Not bad for a huge 4x4. A 2WD will do even better. And I have seen many '99-'02 F-250's & F-350's go for around $10K. I paid a bit more and wish I had shopped a little longer. Even a cheap F-150 would do the job. I like the years that they put the 351 in last.

Yeah but my Acura will be reliable for 200k miles, and it gets 25mpg.

Renting the truck/trailer prob isnt a bad idea, I'll have to look into that also.

what vehicle now adays isint reliable to 200k if you take care of it??? whats so special about an acura that it can do for you? if 25 mpg is the only thing i would buy something else trucks, suv everything is getting close to that and renting every weekend is going to cost you...long run, im not tryin to dog your ride or nothing but it sounds like you got a great ride already... stang....finish of the package.

If you want to buy an inexpensive tow rig, i'd look into a used s10 or blazer with the 4.3L v6. Several guys I know have these and my one freind tows a 4500lb camper with his and has had no trouble to date. Reliable and powerful for what it is, and my freind that has the camper gets over 20mpg when he isnt towing.

Selling my Acura isnt really an option I want right now. Its almost paid off, only has 50k miles, is 110% reliable, has a 100k $0 deductible warranty, and is quick & luxurious.

I'd lose ALOT of niceties going to a F250 or explorer, and to be honest I dont think either will be as maintenance free as my Acura will be for the next 5-8yrs.

Plus if I buy a truck to replace my car it'll be to use it as my DD, so gas mileage is def a concern. I do quite a bit of city driving, so a drop from 25mpg to 16mpg would not be great.

And its not gonna be NA, its gonna be s-trim'd with the H/C/I 347 :nice:

My father in law has an 82 or 84 1ton ford PU with diesel, D60 front, D80 or 90(?) in back with a granny low manual. TANK and tows like a mother, his neph. used it to tow his old 70 nova all over like it was nothing. It has like 60k orig. miles but the frame body is shot at this point from rust :nonono: .

I would look for something like that in 2x4 or 4x4 if you can since its an older model it will be fairly bare bones, back when trucks were TRUCKS. It is a non-turbo so its not going to be as "desireable" as the newer models and a manual (HATE FORD AUTOS) so power really is not a big issue. All making for a really FAIR price if one is in good shape.

Well a 5.0 explorer limited is actually pretty luxerious. Was helping a friend shop for one and you can find them pretty cheap. The 5.0 if treated well will run forever. Then it can get hand me downs from the stang and become somewhat quick :nice:

The thing is that I am selling my house, already have 2 vehicles, and am prob moving into a 1 car garage condo with my gf. Its pretty rediculous for a 25y/o to have 3 vehicles.

I dont know, maybe doing the Penske thing once a month isnt the worst idea in the world off the bat, and then see how it runs. If its not really hooking that hard where its putting alot of stress on the drivetrain then I wont worry about it.

I have always had the idea of getting AAA, with the tow package deal it is like 100$ a year. I just wonder if there is a "blackout" area that includes tracks? Otherwise if anything I would just push/drag/try to limp it just across the street from the track or just outside the tracks gates?

Buddy of mine just got rid of his 00 or so 5.0 AWD merc. mount. and it pulled and hauled great. He drove 300 or so miles with a 460 in the back (whole motor, longblock and brackets with acc.) towing his jetski with no issues, part of the trip was threw the Ozark mnts too. A trade in of the honduh for something like that wouldnt be too bad either.