Any muffler suggestions?

rdharper02

like kicking myself in the junk
10 Year Member
May 8, 2006
I need to replace the mufflers on the gt. One looks like someone took a die grinder and opened it up. I measured the exhaust at 2.5 inches. Not sure if this is origional equipment, but it has no creases in the bends and looks damn good for a 13 year Illinois exhaust. I do need to mention that they need to be no more than two chambers due to the turbo going on. Like I said...cheap is good for now, but they need to fit the tubing thats there. Let me know.

• Sponsors (?)

Flowmasters

Those of you who run Flow's. go check the CFM they put out and you'll see why so many don't like em. just about every other muffler flows more CFM per muff than flows. IIRC, flows only deliver 380 CFM per muff, compared to say dynomax ultra's or Magnaflows which flow over 1100 CFM each.

just some FYI is all
Scott

CobraGT87 said:
Those of you who run Flow's. go check the CFM they put out and you'll see why so many don't like em. just about every other muffler flows more CFM per muff than flows. IIRC, flows only deliver 380 CFM per muff, compared to say dynomax ultra's or Magnaflows which flow over 1100 CFM each.

just some FYI is all
Scott

Flows sound great. Too many people concerned about two much technical info when it comes down to choosing certain parts for their intended application.
FWIW, most threads that I've read concerning muffler choice was dependant upon the sound one would get rather than the flow capability of the muffler. After all, who wants to ride around with the best flowing muffler but not be happy with the exhaust note??

blackcloud50 said:
Flows sound great. Too many people concerned about two much technical info when it comes down to choosing certain parts for their intended application.
FWIW, most threads that I've read concerning muffler choice was dependant upon the sound one would get rather than the flow capability of the muffler. After all, who wants to ride around with the best flowing muffler but not be happy with the exhaust note??

while the sound is also very important, why not get both? no sense in having a good sounding muffler if it's holding back HP (backpressure) now is it? as for being to technical, those who want the most from their motor also want an exhaust setup that will compliment the engine setup. what your saying is like having a nice free flow exhaust system from the motor back only to be canceled out by mufflers that are to restrictive all in the name of sound, plus the prices are so close anyway's. I paid less for my magnaflows then for a pair of flowmasters, and they match the rest of the system far better and still sound very nice.

you wouldn't buy nice high flow heads just to say they look good or to tell others you have XYZ type heads on it would you? of course not, you're after more power and to maximise the other components.

look into the flow capabilities of diff mufflers sometime and you'll see the HP limits they can handle before they become very restrictive.

but to each their own.
Scott

Not everyone needs to squeeze out every ounce of power from there application. Especially those who are not all out track racers or whom can leave some HP on the table if they are near lets say, the limitations of their block for example. Many think backpressure is bad....but for those who do know...some back pressure is desireable!!

Please explain "too restrictive". I've read numerous muffler comparison tests. In many instances, the loss in hp/tq is negligible. As the same for "X" vs. "H" pipe. Catalytic converters vs. no cats.

MOB Send me your contact info and what your thinking of for $.
If you are talking about actual "bullet" brandname. I ran alot of their stuff on my imports (lived in Cali at the time and was anti fart can.) They were a popular brand with my baja buddies. Hell if I could find them around here I'd buy a couple. In fact I replaced the piping and reused the muffler on 1 vehicle. The eventual goal here is to go 3 inch with the exhaust. Unfortunately my play fund is starting to tap out and I cant afford the State Natzi patrol to ticket me. The mufflers dont have to be the highest flowing, but obviously cant supply a huge amount of back pressure (do to turbo lag).