Anyone else gotten the 'thumbs up?'

• Sponsors (?)

I guess I'll post, since it happened to me yesterday.

I was driving along on the highway in the left lane and noticed this family in a Focus in the right lane. They kept looking over at me. I looked over at them again a few seconds later...and everyone was giving me a thumbs up...kids....dad....everyone. It was cool.

My car is totally stock, but has the GT appearance package (hood scoop, stainless tips, engine cover). I will admit, it looks pretty chunky and cool, even though it's stock. I think the silver color works really well in the "sweet light" (the few hours just before/after sunrise/sunset)...as the body panels will show different shades of silver.

But comments/thumbs up happen to me all the time (since I got rid of my Accord, LOL). I would run into this group of guys at the local 7-11 sometimes in the morning. (They were 3rd shift workers, I think). Finally, one of the guys starts going off about how much he LOVES my car! I was kind of embarrassed, but thanked him just the same.

It's kind of weird, having complete strangers come up and start talking to you because of your car. But I like it. :)

I get it happening to me all the time and i have a 6 now, first one ive ever owned all the rest have been gt's.

I drive too far to have a gt already got 90,000 and its an 06...lol. plus my 66 is my toy so i dont have to drive around everyday proving my car has balls when i can just swap cars. I do miss the power when you press down the gas but at least it saves me on tickets...lol.

and yes the majority of v6 drivers just drive the car but it happens with gt drivers too I see it all the time.

I never acknowledge any other mustangs on the road. I know BOOOOOOO!:notnice:

I don't really feel the need to give a thumbs up to a hot car because the owner already knows it. I waved at a GT500 once as he rolled past me at a 4 way stop and the A-hole didn't even look. LOL If somebody else makes a gesture I will return it at least.

I like talking to other mustang owners at the gas pump or where ever else but I never wave at a random car on the road.

Strangers approach me all the time at gas pumps, parking lots, etc. The most common questions is..."Does it have a 5.0"

Wave

Many times but most from bikers and street roders...

I run an 07 Mustang Grabber Orange and I think you need balls to go with the colour!!! Or a really tough skin.. Like it or not.

Street rods are Purple, Green, Red, Flame and black etc and they know paint !!!!

Brian

Yeah, I said most. But unfortunately, that's the way it is. I know there are enthusiasts, but I know at least 90% of V6 owners are not. In fact, if I gave them a wave or nod, they probably wouldn't get it and would think I was some weirdo hitting on them or something.

Here in Portland I would be lucky to get another mustang owner to even notice me. I could say the same thing for GT owners here. For the hundreds of s197 I've passed only one waved to me. I do have F-150 drivers check my car out and some gas attendents were checking out my car but that is about it. Ricers (all show no go) are dominant (in numbers not speed!) in PDX...

Of course my car doesn't really stand out...

Here in Portland I would be lucky to get another mustang owner to even notice me. I could say the same thing for GT owners here. For the hundreds of s197 I've passed only one waved to me. I do have F-150 drivers check my car out and some gas attendents were checking out my car but that is about it. Ricers (all show no go) are dominant (in numbers not speed!) in PDX...

Of course my car doesn't really stand out...

Since I live in the burbs of "The Motor City," and frequent the first paved road in the USA (Woodward Avenue)....it's very common to see car guys giving gestures to anything that's cool. And now that the weather is FINALLY breaking....and snow melting, cars are starting to come out of hibernation.

There's a reason why we have 1 million+ people show up at our Woodward Dream Cruise...because the Motor City loves it's cars!

I get a thumbs up, nod or comment almost everytime i bring my stang out. Which always strikes me as a lil funny since besides the White stripes on her shes totally stock still. I will rarely get anyone to notice when i bring the Lightning out which cracks me up because that one is where all my mod money is.

I get "the nod" all the time from bikers... Other Stangers, probably 50/50 acknowledgment. But my favorite two people are...

A little kid hanging out the side window of a minivan pointing & yelling for his dad to look at the "red car! red car!". I smoked that minivan.

Once or twice a week all last summer while driving to work I would pass this blond in a Corvette 'vert traveling in the opposite direction who always gave the "sideways glance". I should have followed that car...