anyone tried PYPES x-pipe?

91phoenix

Sep 9, 2007
anyone out there have any experience with PYPES x-pipes? i currently have a UPR offroad pipe and need to go back to cats. i'm looking at either pypes or bassani. by the way i will never get another upr pipe-hangs way low and scrapes over every bump

• Sponsors (?)

x pipe

I have a 87 5.0 lx with pypes catted x-pipe. The clamps it comes with are kinda wierd and mine leak alittle, but for 249 bucks it was the best deal for a catted x-pipe. Also it did hang lower then the off road H I had before it, but only hits on speedbumps or if a couple people are in the car on a driveway or something. The car is lowered with Saleen springs too. As far as performance it seemed to give more SOTP torque feel with I liked. Hope this helps!

anyone out there have any experience with PYPES x-pipes? i currently have a UPR offroad pipe and need to go back to cats. i'm looking at either pypes or bassani. by the way i will never get another upr pipe-hangs way low and scrapes over every bump

Are you lowered? If so the pypes pipe will scrape on just about every speed bump. And when I mean scrape, I mean scrape hard (enough to cause an exhaust leak). The pypes x-pipe's down pipes hang low like long tubes.

In order to not scrape you would need to be lower about .75 inches and no lower. I just ordered some urethane spring isolators to raise my car so it is drivable everyday.

The pypes x w/ cats appears to have hangers. I hate dragging my exhaust all over town. The UPR pipe looks like the bends from the headers are to low. The pypes are tempting...SS for $80 less than aluminized bassani but I've always heard bassani fits the best.

The pypes x w/ cats appears to have hangers. I hate dragging my exhaust all over town. The UPR pipe looks like the bends from the headers are to low. The pypes are tempting...SS for $80 less than aluminized bassani but I've always heard bassani fits the best.

It has no hangers. It you really wanted them you could always get them welded on when you have the cats welded in. Trust me you want the cats welded in, the POS connectors that pypes gives you will leak no matter how tight they are.

Pypes

I agree with the other guys on welding my pypes x pipe at the cats, I have also had experience with the Bassani pipe and it fits perfectly. I was going to put that on my car but I don't have the pipes that connect it to the headers anymore. Has anyone gotten those seprately before?

I agree with the other guys on welding my pypes x pipe at the cats, I have also had experience with the Bassani pipe and it fits perfectly. I was going to put that on my car but I don't have the pipes that connect it to the headers anymore. Has anyone gotten those seprately before?

are you referring to the smog pipe from mid pipe back to smog tubes and pump? mine is long gone. i have heard you will shorten the life of the cats without and also that it makes no difference. either way you will probably have to go the boneyard to find one

I still have my smog pump on but it's hollowed out, I have another x-pipe that just has the cats. I was trying to find the front section that has the 02 bung that connects to the headers. It is a Bassani x -pipe and seemed to fit better then the Pypes pipe. I'm not talking about the rubber smog pump pipes

I have a Pype's off road X-Pipe on my car,no issues at all.It went on easy,doesn't leak,and fit's like a glove under the car.I've had it for about 3 and a half years now.Still looks great as well.

are you referring to the smog pipe from mid pipe back to smog tubes and pump? mine is long gone. i have heard you will shorten the life of the cats without and also that it makes no difference. either way you will probably have to go the boneyard to find one

The purpose of the smog pump is to pump air in to the second set of cats. The reason a smog pump is needed is because a stock mustang has two sets of cats and during the catalyzation process the pre-cats use up all the oxygen in the exhaust stream in an attempt to reduce emissions. So when the exhaust stream passes through the second set of cats there is no oxygen to use in the catalyzation process. Therefore the smog pump is needed to add oxygen to the secondary cats. Now if you have a two cat system (one on each exhaust bank) you can see why the smog pump is not needed.

Right now i have bbk shorty headers and a Pypes O/R X pipe and i think it hangs way too low and it has no hangers!!! i wanted to get BBK long tubes and BBK O/R X pipe...i was wondering if anyone had experience with it. i dont want anything that will hang lower or as low as what i have now?

Updating...I got the Bassani and it was by far the easiest exhaust swap I've ever done. The 2 down tubes are separate with hangers, very easy to slip the hangers in and bolt up to the headers. The cats and X are another section. Just all slid together, clamped and bolted up. GOOD TO GO! Kudos to Bassani for great design.