AOD 91 what gears should I use ? and other ?'s

wesjr

Jul 29, 2005
Well Ive been looking through the site trying to see if I could get a grip on what I was looking for and it seems I have 2 choices either a 3.55 or 3.73 rear gears. Now I want to know what you all think. Its a AOD 91' mustang 5.0 LX and I wont use it for daily driving but it is my only car to drive..(I know what your thinking WTF) I walk to work :) I have seen what yall think about the gearing for man trans but not AOD for the gearing so what do you think I should get ? Also I was thinking of getting some new mufflers but not sure which I was thinking either dynomax race bullets or one of the 3 chamberd flowmasters not sure which. All the rest of the system is stock not really trying to get really loud sound just something that sound mildy loud on stock exhausts system. I was also wondering where to get GT ground effects for my year model looked around but cant find any:( Thank you for the help this is my first mustang and I just got it 6 days ago and ever since Ive been all over the net looking for ways to mod it I cant wait :)

• Sponsors (?)

4.56's baby!!

You'll pull 3k going at 80 mph but you'll be way too busy yelling weeeeee to notice. City milage will INCREASE once you learn to use the gear rather than the motor to push the car around.

4.30's would be more conservative but with an AOD, dont fear the gear. You need it.

here is a way to think about it.

Say someone wants to change gears, think of there be 2 stages

He could upgrade his gear to stage one or 2, depending on how much more power he wants.

If he has a t5 the stage one will be 3.55 then stage 2 will be 3.73
If he has an AOD the stage one will be 3.73 and stage 2 will be 4.10

So if you think about it a 3.73 AOD is similar to a 3.55 t5, the gear ratios are different on the two trannies, the AOD being the slug of the two, so it needs a steeper gear to actually use. The 3.55s for the AOD wont do all that much. I mean it will but you know....

crazypete said:
4.56's baby!!

You'll pull 3k going at 80 mph but you'll be way too busy yelling weeeeee to notice. City milage will INCREASE once you learn to use the gear rather than the motor to push the car around.

4.30's would be more conservative but with an AOD, dont fear the gear. You need it.

I'm diggin the muffler bearing :nice:

Thank you all for the help but what do you guys think of my problem for the mufflers. Like I said I wont be doing much to it just want some nice sound by just changeing the mufflers them selfs any thoughts on this and the ground effects ? And again thank you for the help I knew coming here would help me alot seeing how helpful you all are on other post :)

I'm not trying to steal this post or anything, but i'm gettin ready to do a swap on my '89 GT, I was just wondering about everything I will need to do this swap myself? I've got a pretty much stock drivetrain except for a Tremec 3550 tranny with a Pro-5.0 shifter. I was just wondering what products I will need to do the install (shims, gear-oil, bearings...etc). Any help would be awesome.... thanks guys, if ya need anymore info about the car just lemme know... lata