AOD-E issue, 94 mustang 5.0

mustangyellow

Jan 9, 2008
the problem is that when the transmission shifts to overdrive, if the engine rpm is right, it will *bounce* from 1000 rpm to 1200 rpm. Also, it doesnt shift firm. I replaced the TCC solenoid and the trans temp sensor and change the trans fluid and filter. if i select for OD to be off, it does not do this, although the *soft shifts* continue. Im thinking it may be the overdrive selector switch, but the problem is I do not have any codes; and also the OD light in the gauge cluster is not blinking(a sign that i heard of that the OD switch may be bad.) the other problem is that when it shifts from 1st to 2nd, it seems to shift into another gear, then it will shift to third. i know it is the torque converter locking and unlocking, but if i hold the brakes, it does not do it. So does anyone have any ideas on what it may, or could be?

• Sponsors (?)

This is why I swapped to a 5 speed as soon as I possibly could. I have had nothing but nightmares with AODE's since I started driving SN95's. There are alot of guys here that know their slush boxes well, so I'm sure they'll chime in for ya soon. Good luck!

the problem is that when the transmission shifts to overdrive, if the engine rpm is right, it will *bounce* from 1000 rpm to 1200 rpm. Also, it doesnt shift firm.

Not quite sure what you are trying to say. But if I take you literally the tach rpm increases from 1000 to 1200. Is there actually an increase in engine speed? Normally one would expect the 3-OD shift to see a slight decrease in rpm. However, I'm also puzzled by the low rpm associated with a up shift from 3 to OD at both a low rpm and I assume a vehicle speed under 30 mph. It may be that there is slippage due to band wear before it grabs resulting in an temporary increase in rpm's. The 3 to OD shift will always be soft.

I replaced the TCC solenoid and the trans temp sensor and change the trans fluid and filter. if i select for OD to be off, it does not do this, although the *soft shifts* continue.

Without a shift kit or valve body modifications all factory shifts tend to be soft.

Im thinking it may be the overdrive selector switch, but the problem is I do not have any codes; and also the OD light in the gauge cluster is not blinking(a sign that i heard of that the OD switch may be bad.)

I've never heard of the OD light blinking. The switch as far as I'm aware is just on or off.

the other problem is that when it shifts from 1st to 2nd, it seems to shift into another gear, then it will shift to third. i know it is the torque converter locking and unlocking, but if i hold the brakes, it does not do it. So does anyone have any ideas on what it may, or could be?

It's not clear as to what you are saying. What do you mean holding the brakes? Holding the brake pedal down while accelerating? How does one go from 1st to 2nd while holding the brakes? I guess we need to know whether you are talking about shifts under normal (moderate acceleration) driving conditions or if you are talking about shifts with your foot in it at WOT. The shifts are quite different under different engine load conditions.

when i say the rpm bounces i mean the engine loads goes up and down. as far is MPH is, it usually happens around 40mph. When i say i hold the brakes, i mean I lightly put my foot on the brake(basically just enough to for the brake lights to come on). I know a brake switch controls the torque converter.As far as acceleration, it is moderate. when driving normal, and not holding the brakes pedal, the shifts are long and drawn out; but when I just barely hold the brake pedal down, the shifts are more firm and precise(that is one of the main things that is puzzling me). Thank you for your detailed and though out answer; it is greatly apprieciated. hopefully you can further elaborate on my problem.:hail2:

when i changed the trans filter, i flushed the trans out and put MerconV in it. drove it and it started the problems, i again flushed the trans out and put Mercon in it afterwards, same problems:shrug:

mercon V is not specified for the AOD-E's. I know mercron V supersedes mercon, but id just rather use what it calls for:rolleyes:.

when i changed the trans filter, i flushed the trans out and put MerconV in it. drove it and it started the problems, i again flushed the trans out and put Mercon in it afterwards, same problems:shrug:

Why did you use something that wasn't called for then? You kind of contradicted yourself. I only ask to help get to the bottom of the issue (not to be sarcastic).

The fact that activating the BOO makes the issue disappear (if I read ya right) makes one think a shudder issue is involved.

I might not be following you completely but I didnt see anything indicating a TR/MLPS issue.

I never had an issue with a pressure sensor so I cannot comment there.

Not to scare you but that is how my stock aode was acting right before it went out and got worse quick. I don't know the mileage or how it was driven but the OD bands are not meant to take the "to the mat" shifts or hard launches, I made the mistake of not turning the OD off at the track when re-started after sitting in the lanes.......and a 600 idle to the floor shock did not treat the old aode well......I hope that is not the case with you.
Will

this is not the original trans. the trans was replaced about 1 1/2 ago. when i changed the trans filter and fluid; the fluid was still bright red and the filter was not that dirty. Im thinking it has to be something electrical. there is no hard shifts, or rough shifts. the rpm going from 1000 to 1200 did not start until i replaced the TCC solenoid(Torque control clutch). could a faulty TCC solenoid cause this?

If the problem started at the exact same time you replaced that solonoid, then it's a good place to start. I have a question, if you tranny was replaced only 1 1/2 years ago, why did you already have to change the fluid?

i was already there so i went ahead and changed it. Im thinking maybe the TCC from the parts store i got it from isnt working like the one from ford.:scratch: Also, I want to thank everyone who has replyed. Everyone has been fantastic with the help.