Aod Issue When Cold

May 9, 2011
Ne
When my aod is cold (first thing in morning, or on cold days if I let it sit for a few hours.) it will not shift easy at all. I have to rev it to 5k rpms to get it to shift into 2nd or drive for awhile normally and then it will shift. Also first gear doesn’t act normally before you get it to shift, when you let off the gas the motor will not decel with the Trans, more like its slipping. But once I get the Trans to shift a few times and warm it up it acts totally normal. Anyone have an idea of what my problem might be? Plus would it be an easy fix? I know the trans is not done for because like I said after I get it to shift a few times it acts normal.

• Sponsors (?)

On some Fords there is a valve that bypasses fluid away from the radiator and cooler until the tranny warms up.
I have heard of this valve sticking and causing line pressure problems during temperature swings.
I do not know if your tranny has this or not. Just throwing that out because it is an issue on Ford trucks sometimes.

Other than that, it could be a servo sticking. I have seen that before, causing a cold tranny to have engagement issues, especially when initially going into a gear from P, R, or N.

On some Fords there is a valve that bypasses fluid away from the radiator and cooler until the tranny warms up.
I have heard of this valve sticking and causing line pressure problems during temperature swings.
I do not know if your tranny has this or not. Just throwing that out because it is an issue on Ford trucks sometimes.

Other than that, it could be a servo sticking. I have seen that before, causing a cold tranny to have engagement issues, especially when initially going into a gear from P, R, or N.
Only 2 servos in the AOD are for the over drive band and reverse band. So, I wouldn't think they would cause the problem. But, I have seen weirder things happen.

i lcould see something about a bypass valve because i swaped out my stock lines for soft lines. id have to look into that though.