Aod Problems After Rebuild

5.0ttops87

Nov 12, 2016
I had my aod rebuilt 2 years ago... after it was done it didn't shift into overdrive for the first 20 miles (the guy who rebuilt it said it should be fine.. ) overdrive worked for a while after that, but when i noticed it was giving issues again it'd act like it was shifting into overdrive but it'd feel like it was slipping like a sob! I had the guy who rebuilt it drive it.. he adjusted the the tv cable and problem solved for maybe 3k more miles? Anyway It completely stopped shifting into overdrive and 3rd.. It never smelled like it had burnt anything up.. I did a few fluid changes and even the first one it was still a nice clean shade of red and absolutely no smells or shavings.. I have like maybe 12k on the transmission total and sounds like I'm on my own for rebuild (Total bull:poo:), but I was just curious what any aod experts think it could be the input shaft for an issue? I replaced the valve body already (after the rebuild and losing gears).. It has a new torque converter (installed when rebuilt) Could this be an issue?

• Sponsors (?)

I think the guy who rebuilt your AOD fed you a line of BS. The AOD should have shifted into OD the day he gave you back the transmission. The fact it was slipping right out of the gate is a big red flag.
Who initially set the line pressure and TV cable?
Installing an aftermarket VB would require you readjusting the TV cable- was that done?

Did this guy warranty his work? I would bring it back to him first and have him tear it down.

A good trans shop is hard to find. It should function normal right from the shop driveway and last long time with minimal maintenance.
Speak to your trans guy, but I would get some recommendations from a couple repair shops to see who they use.

I think the guy who rebuilt your AOD fed you a line of BS. The AOD should have shifted into OD the day he gave you back the transmission. The fact it was slipping right out of the gate is a big red flag.
Installing an aftermarket VB would require you readjusting the TV cable- was that done?

Did this guy warranty his work? I would bring it back to him first and have him tear it down.
I worked at readjusting the tv cable when i installed the vb and well it seems like he got it to last long enough to where he no longer gaurantees his work.. pretty :poo:ty if you ask me but i bought into his bs. He claims that I need to get another case because mines screwed... something about internal leaking happening due to cracked case..

I should say he claims its a cracked case without even tearing it apart again.

Hit up a couple repair shops in your area, ask who they would use.
Where you at, it not in your profile
Nebraska and I will just working on saving up for this.. just got the car to run right.

how and where is the case cracked? And when did he diagnose this
He claims that it has an internal crack.. I don't buy it but he thinks so and suggests I get a new shell for it.. I don't know if I want to spend more money to have him diagnose something that may not be the issue.. I was just looking for more insight on what might be the issue with it before I dive into a rebuild or have a shop look it over lol

how and where is the case cracked? And when did he diagnose this
I should say he just guesses that it was cracked somehow without inspecting the internals .. there is obviously no fluid leaking out but he assumes it's leaking internally.. I have no idea how but he does know a fair amount about transmissions (at least seemed that way..)

I should say he just guesses that it was cracked somehow without inspecting the internals .. there is obviously no fluid leaking out but he assumes it's leaking internally.. I have no idea how but he does know a fair amount about transmissions (at least seemed that way..)
Dude, I can sound like I know alot about something when talking to someone that is unfamiliar with the subject.