Aode Install Question

Wildstanger86

Active User
Aug 28, 2017
I have an 86 Mustang that I am considering putting an ODE in it. If I do the install what is involved and needed to do this install since the car has an AOD in it. I know the current AOD has a TV cable and since I am probably going to put a carb on it will make it difficult to use the TV cable. Thanks in advance for any input.

• Sponsors (?)

or.......ahem.
upload_2017-10-7_11-48-28.png

Those electronic controllers are expensive but if you can afford one, it would be a nice setup to have with AODE in the 86 Foxbody. All AODE's have the larger 2" OD band while the older AOD has 1.5" OD band which is the weakest link in the trans.

The older AOD can be upgraded to be pretty decent. I recently did this myself. I rebuilt it and fit it with sun gear shell and 2" reverse drum from AODE allowing me to run the 2" OD band. This along with A+ OD servo and Baumann shift kit and its working nicely. I did all the labor myself. Parts in total including stock converter ran me about $800.

I bet by the time you get a rebuilt AODE and all controlling features you would be at $2500, but it would be nice!

Those electronic controllers are expensive but if you can afford one, it would be a nice setup to have with AODE in the 86 Foxbody. All AODE's have the larger 2" OD band while the older AOD has 1.5" OD band which is the weakest link in the trans.

The older AOD can be upgraded to be pretty decent. I recently did this myself. I rebuilt it and fit it with sun gear shell and 2" reverse drum from AODE allowing me to run the 2" OD band. This along with A+ OD servo and Baumann shift kit and its working nicely. I did all the labor myself. Parts in total including stock converter ran me about $800.

I bet by the time you get a rebuilt AODE and all controlling features you would be at $2500, but it would be nice!
Do you still have the tv cable and are you running carb or fuel injected?