Are 18's too big for Road Racing? And what are some good light weight strong rims?

Blue Blurr

Apr 1, 2004
California
As what the title says are 18's to big for road racing? I was thinking about getting some BBS Rk rims, but then i dont know if 18's are to big. Im sure they will work but ide like to get some opinions. Also if 18's are too big what are some good 17" wheels? CCW?

• Sponsors (?)

Not only are 18" rims gonna be heavier, they also concentrate the weight further from the hub costing more hp to get them moving and more braking power to get them to stop. In short, they are basically good for bling bling and not much else :D I would third the recommendation for Steeda Ultralights in 17".

18s and a low profile tire would make the cornering more stable. The sidewall is smaller to theres less to fold over. I would go with the BBs or a CCW wheel. Theres a guy that is a CCW dealer on LoneStarStangs.com, go there and make a thread looking for him. Its a nice site with nice people and someone there will know who your talking about. And are the cobra R and saleens not road course cars? Im sure they came with 18s for a reason. !7 are better for drag racing just because theres more tire so you can drop pressure.

mity2 said:
i see why not. I mean 2000 Cobra R had 18" from factory, and is one of the best handling Fox ever built

Ford likely went with 18s on the 2000 R for extra brake clearance. The Cobra R runs a much larger 4 piston caliper up front. That is the only logical reason for 18s over 17s.

The Diesel said:
18s and a low profile tire would make the cornering more stable. The sidewall is smaller to theres less to fold over. I would go with the BBs or a CCW wheel. Theres a guy that is a CCW dealer on LoneStarStangs.com, go there and make a thread looking for him. Its a nice site with nice people and someone there will know who your talking about. And are the cobra R and saleens not road course cars? Im sure they came with 18s for a reason. !7 are better for drag racing just because theres more tire so you can drop pressure.

That would be true if we were comparing something like 15s to 18s but, we are talking 17s vs 18s here. You can only carry the stiffer sidewall argument so far or are you saying that the best handling tire would be a solid piece of rubber with no flex whatsover? As I said earlier I think the reason for the 18s on the Cobra R is more for brake clearance.

rjstaaf said:
That would be true if we were comparing something like 15s to 18s but, we are talking 17s vs 18s here. You can only carry the stiffer sidewall argument so far or are you saying that the best handling tire would be a solid piece of rubber with no flex whatsover? As I said earlier I think the reason for the 18s on the Cobra R is more for brake clearance.
Yeah makes sense, thers not much diff. i guess. So i guess 18 are for either brake clearance or for looking like a badass, downside is that theyre heave though.

Id probably go with some 17in. CCWs.

basially your roll center is raised 1/2 and you wheels will be a bit heavier. A forged 18 will be lighter than some cast 17 so if you have the money you can still get light 18's. BBS are great wheels if you can afford them. there are plenty of others as well some more $$$$ than bbs.

I think steeda X2 ball joints might help with the roll center issue a bit.

I would not come here for this answer though I would call steeda or MM or someone to get the real tech behind is.

Here just just get ohh they will be heavy with is not always true if you have money to buy light wheels. some brakes will not fit under 17" rims so some cars have to run 18" rims. so somwhere out there someone has like 14" rotors with 6 piston brakes and is running 18's around the track.