Are 30lb injectors overkill? or should I switch to 24

catman4115

Sep 9, 2005
Rhode Island
I currently have 30lb injectors in my car and was thinking of switching to 24's. My car hasn't seemed to be on at wot and feels like its hesitating. I talked to the guy at my local race shop and he said it was because my injectors were too big for my combination. I also dont have a fuel pressure regulator installed. I just wanted some thoughts. Thanks again

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the guy at the "race shop" needs to find new employment b/c he obviously have ZERO knowledge. Your 30's are fine but you may have a mechanical issue or a tuning issue.

How good is your maf?

24's would be the more ideal injector.

I have 30's currently and they are overkill (flow much more than I need).

Good Luck with the fix!

An afpr would be nice to have to tweak a bit more on it. Check your timing.

Have you had the car dyno tuned? In all likelihood your car is running way too rich. I have a similar combination as yours, and when I had my car tuned, it was running like 8:1 air:fuel. The 30lb injectors were reset to about 50% of their capacity and the car runs much better. Picked up 62 HP in tuning.

If it was me, I would keep the 30lb and just get it tuned. Why spend the additional $$$. Even with the 24lb, it most likely won't be tuned correctly. There is no combination of aftermarket parts that you can mix and match and expect it to run as good as when it left Ford by just bolting stuff on.

All you guys who mess with your fuel injection system and then don't have it tuned are just kidding yourselves. Most of the bolt-on goodies actually make a car run worse unless you go the extra step to tune it for peak power. Spend a couple of hundred dollars and get it done right.

Flame away.

Have you had the car dyno tuned? In all likelihood your car is running way too rich. I have a similar combination as yours, and when I had my car tuned, it was running like 8:1 air:fuel. The 30lb injectors were reset to about 50% of their capacity and the car runs much better. Picked up 62 HP in tuning.

If it was me, I would keep the 30lb and just get it tuned. Why spend the additional $$$. Even with the 24lb, it most likely won't be tuned correctly. There is no combination of aftermarket parts that you can mix and match and expect it to run as good as when it left Ford by just bolting stuff on.

All you guys who mess with your fuel injection system and then don't have it tuned are just kidding yourselves. Most of the bolt-on goodies actually make a car run worse unless you go the extra step to tune it for peak power. Spend a couple of hundred dollars and get it done right.

Flame away.

That's true. I've got 30's and it surges like a mofo until its been running for a while. But its better than buying injectors twice, when 24's wont cut anymore...

If they are flowing too much then they just need to be tuned down? If you had 24lbs. say they were tuned at 60% then you switched to 30lbs. then they would be reset to like 35-40%? just asuming..

Pick parts that match well.

Do not pick parts that do not match well and then have to over compensate for the mismatched parts.

30's will be just fine if you get a tune. They aren't ideal for the setup, but neither is the world:)

ur probably running too rich. running too rich washes out the rings, glazing the cylinder walls. keep the 30's get a custom burned chip done but with someone other than at that local race shop.

I am running 42lbers in a NA 331 stroker in my sig. it has a custom tune. I am waiting for a blower install.