Are 4.6 heads swappable right to left?

jg42122

Mar 14, 2010
Are 4.6 heads swappable right to left? Does it matter which side your heads are on? I am trying to figure out why my timing chain guides are not working, and I noticed that the left one says Rh could the machine shop have put them together incorrectly, and if so will it matter? I have heard they are interchangable, but I don't know.

• Sponsors (?)

Are 4.6 heads swappable right to left? Does it matter which side your heads are on? I am trying to figure out why my timing chain guides are not working, and I noticed that the left one says Rh could the machine shop have put them together incorrectly, and if so will it matter? I have heard they are interchangable, but I don't know.

Heads can go on either side if you move the oil plugs. The guides may or may not be interchangeable; I cant remember. If it says RH or LH, then they are obviously not interchangeable.

After further inspection of the heads I noticed that it does not say Rh but the left one has what appears to be a weird looking R stamped on the side of it I am not 100% sure that it stands for right is their any way I can tell before I seal this thing up?

They are sold separately as left and right side heads. I would assume that they are not interchangeable by that.

That's only becasue they are sold with the oil plugs installed. The plugs can be moved from the back to the front to make a LH a RH or a RH a LH. Take a look at some heads the next time you get a chance and you wont find a difference except for the plugs.