are AMC Javelin & 71-73 Mustang cousins?

• Sponsors (?)

Gotta love those early 5MPH bumpers. You don't need to pack a folding chair; just park the nose of the car in the shade, sit down on the 10" deep bumper, and lean back against the headlight surround as you have your beer. :nice:

You guys are crazy...lol.....:rlaugh:

I was lucky because the guy I bought my '73 Mustang from had already traded out the front bumper to a smaller 71-72 chrome one.
2007-August-23-Sept-2nd287crop.jpg

Attachments

• 2007-August-23-Sept-2nd287crop.jpg
    2007-August-23-Sept-2nd287crop.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 110
the mustang's didn't have to have the giant 5 mph crash bumpers that other cars did anyway. for instance the maverick, the original small bumper for the Mav's weighed about 15 lbs or so and the 5 mph bumpers weighed almost 60 lbs. the mustangs front bumper didn't grow anywhere near that much probably because it was the last year of that body style so the government let them slide on that one.

You could probably dock on the car but i doubt you could pull anything out of the water. Its always fun watching people try pulling their boats out with a car. Gives new meaning to the term slick as a whistle.

You could probably dock on the car but i doubt you could pull anything out of the water. Its always fun watching people try pulling their boats out with a car. Gives new meaning to the term slick as a whistle.

i've done it with old 70 cougar, didn't give me a bit of problems on the particular ramp i used. i've seen ramps though that even a Cummins powered Dodge would have problems with. the one i speak of is on Lake Travis outside of Austin in a little town called Lakeway. the ramp is hella steep

The ramp for Fisher's Landing at Martinez Lake (north of Yuma on the Colorado River) gets pretty slick late on a weekend day. Usually, a couple of 4x2 haulers start the spinning; between the rubber chunks laid down and the dirt/deposits kicked off the concrete ramp, anybody pulling out a "heavier-than-a-new-Bayliner" is gonna be spinning a bunch.

Shortly after replacing the Rice-Eating Generic Chevy Truck with my present F150 4x4 (729 days after it was first registered, from the same Ford dealership), I ran into a guy that new the P.O. and recognized the truck. According to him, the truck's high mileage came from twice-monthly trips to a San Diego movie distributer for new DVD's and tapes (guy owned a couple video rental stores); and (Quote) "...the only time I ever saw him use the 4 wheel drive was pulling his jet-boat out at Fisher's on Saturday night!" :nice:

Yeah, ol' Larry's front axle has seen just a bit more use than that in the last 22 months; and not just pulling the horse trailer through sand and mud :D

t_chelle has a good point

Please don't kill me, but it kind of reminds me of the offspring of a mustang and a camaro.

-Chelle

Really - and if you look at the evolution of the original Trans-Am race cars (Boss Mustang, Camaro Z-28) the Javelin SST was exactly that. AMC was trying to compete in racing and market share with those pony cars.
The Javelin morphed a little in '71 - just like the Mustang - thanks mostly to Ralph Nader, but you can clearly see the heritage in the design.

I almost bought a '71 or '72 Javelin in 1978 with a 390 CID engine - it ran really well......... but that is another story.