Are gears good for a first mod ???

oilmota

Jul 8, 2004
I got a friend that has a 01 gt auto... I am not a mustang guy... I ride imports.. :nice: Anyways, from what I feel in the stang it feels real strong... I mean we have raced LS1's and hung pretty good considering the stang is bone stock.. Not even a K N filter... So I was thinking of just slapping some gears in the stang first because of the auto tranny.. I mean buying those bolton's would help but I am thinking gears would help more then basic bolton's for a auto GT..

What do you Guy think ????

• Sponsors (?)

Gears are THE best first mod. Inexpensive and a big boost in performance. With an automatic, I'd go 4.10 minimum, maybe 4.30. Next on the list would be a shift kit of some sort.

How do you get gears to be inexpensive???

Granted the gears themselves are only like $150, but the cheapest you are looking at, counting gears + install, is $450-500 easy with a speedcal. If you go the chip route, you are looking at an easy $750-900 depending on if you just get a simple burn, or if you do a full custom tune. Gears are great, but not cheap by any means.
He is an auto so he would have to do the chip route, no choise besides a programmer which is just as expensive if not more so.
By the way, for an auto, Id at least go with 4.10's :nice:

location does have a lot to do with it sadly. plus this is a very good shop, so you get what you pay for i have learned. 99+ cars cant do a speedo gear swap, we have to have a speedcal/chip as well. no more days of the easy gear tooth swap and instant speedo recalibration.
Normally your gears are around $150 new, labor around $200-250, and speedcal with install normally around $100. You throw a chip in thats an extra $300-350, not to mention dyno time if you do a full custom burn. Gears can be VERY expensive for 99+ cars, but are a must have mod for anyone!!!

Thanks Guys...
I thought I was correct in that gears are the best way to go...
My friend with the stang asked all of his buddies and there where saying " get a cold air intake" or " get an exhaust " " or a chip" ... These are mustang people telling him this too.. These guys sound like RICERS to me .. Now I have proof with this post that what I said is correct and to start out with the gears...
It's sad that these guys were either misleading him or just plained didn't know about gears...

:hail2: to VTEC

StangLou said:
How do you get gears to be inexpensive???

I had gears put in my 90 GT for less than $200 including buying the gears. However I bought used gears ($50) and had a friend in the business do the swap on the side after hours.

As for my 98 it may get 3.73's (again used for $50, Ford take out gears) and I'll have the same guy install and becuse I'm a pre-99 guy I can get by with swapping speedo gears or a speedcal.

But you could do a 99 & up car for not too much more. Used gears and a hypertech tuner would get the job done.

Hypertech is like $300 bucks though right? Then youve got the $50 bucks for the used gears, then the install price if you dont know someone. Everything is cheaper if you know someone lol, but for the average person who has to go out and get the gears, pay for an install, pay for a speecal/install or a chip and burn, its not cheap.

StangLou said:
Right..... :rolleyes:

No rice here!!! All go ... Sounds crazy but it's true.. Yes it's true!!! Not all civic's are slow.. I am sure you have seen some quick civics and might have been beat by a couple.. Just like there are some mustangs that are slow too.. I have beaten my share of mustang's and have been beaten by some too.. Not trying to start a flame here...
Not don't get me wrong I hate rice too.... especially domestic Rice .... :D

Sadly your still rice :D. A honda is a honda man. I dont consider rice as a "riced" out ride, I consider rice as well honda lol. No offense, and yes I have seen a few fast civics. Thankfully they were all done how they are supposed to be, sleepers, without the 12 tier wings, folger crystal tail pipes, and cardboard side skirts... dont laugh, I have acutally seen this. Sadly I have seen domestic rice as well :nonono: chinese letters on the sides of stangs, bookshelf wings, and even honda stickers :bang:
You may not have riced out your car, but your still rice :D. Hope you can take some ribbing coming in here saying :hail2: vtec lol cause your going to get it. Most guys on here are cool, some arent as nice as me though so beware :D

Thanks for the advice.. I am use to the honda bashing... It's ok ... :D
I am sure you guys are use to the bashing from the Chevy guys... All in good fun...
So thanks again for the warning .. I look forward to have interesting debates about imports and domestics... I mean think about....Ford finally realized what Honda has known for years already... Over Head Cams baby (DOHC and SOHC)...Push rod are so cute... :D