Are Iron Heads Really That Bad?

DFG 5OH

Aug 28, 2004
Louisville, KY
I was chatting with a few guys from a local car club, and I asked where I could get Iron heads ported. They acted like i was the stupidest person ever for even asking that. They said it was a waste, and i couldnt make more than 240 at the wheels with irons, and i should just get alumn. heads. I tried to explain how GT-40 heads were good heads, and ported could be even better, and compared to the price of Alumn's are also quite a bit cheaper. They still wouldnt budge from there stand. I just stopped arguing, because i was going nowhere.

So if iron heads are so bad, how come so many people on here run them, and get great results for the money?

• Sponsors (?)

There is nothing wrong with iron heads. Before the aluminum boom there were plenty of people going fast with irons. The problem with irons is there are only a few castings available that are decent. Then the extra money for porting, valves or whatever and now your in aluminum money territory.

Never talk to someone with money about doing anything on a budget. They just think you're a dumbass and not worth talking to. Iron heads are great.

As Vib said, just not many options for us. If they made iron AFR's I'd be all over those like a fat kid on cake. The wieght difference alone is nowhere near justifying the cost if you ask me.

I made like 231-238 rwhp with unported gt40's with a 30% comp. loss in number 3 cyl. I am sure I would have made over 240 with all cyl. Before the cyl. dropped press. I ran a 13.5 @102 with unported gt40's, tfs1 cam, ported stock lower...not to bad at all.

2 disadvantages to gt-40 iron heads...
-weight
-thin deck

i think the guy who had the car before me made 260 hp with just ported heads and a good tune... at the time he didnt know the heads were ported cause he had never had the engine apart, but when i took the heads off, i found the heads ported....after supercharging he made 423 hp with ported iron heads...

BUT the HG have blown a couple times and becuase of the thin deck, the heads have warped and have needed milling which just makes the deck thinner... so i don't know.
i guess with iron heads that have never been milled and a proper tune you wouldnt have any problems and still make some good power...
like i said 260 was with just the ported heads...stock cam...stock intakes and a good tune.

240 to the wheels with iron? LOL

Hopefully Troy Carter will see this....

I believe he made 290+ with a stock shortblock, iron heads, and a stock cam.

A GOOD valve job is worth TONS of power on iron heads....

Joe

GreenMustangGt made like 275RWHP with his unported gt40p heads/intake and a crane 2031 cam

someone else here is making just over 300RWHP with some worked p's, custom cam and an edel. intake

i want to get mine dyno tuned soon (ported/milled p's, crane cam and cobra intake) and ill let you know what kinda numbers its making

to me its more of a budget, and the fact that its more of a personal accomplishment if i run 12's and have 300rwhp with irons. Its not as easy as bolting on some AFR's. Now i fully understand the advantages of alumn. heads. I see nothng wrong with iron heads. I know they're heavy, but they're cheaper too. I got my heads for el cheapo with a 3-way valve job, new valves and new springs...i'm hoping to make some good power wiht a street heat intake, and custom cam once its all done. Hopefully i can show these guys up.

There are two main types of iron heads.

OEM Ford ....... e7's, gt40, etc

After market ... TFS High Port, etc

Most would say the second type produce the most power

Most would say the first type is what everybody usually works with due to their budget or else those peeps would just get a better flowing Aluminum head for more performance.

Keeping the focus on budget oem Ford iron heads ....................................

Most don't make it to the 300rwhp or better mark due to the fact that you just come to a point in time that you don't wanna put any more money in the heads as its not cost effecient.

I been down that road before with self porting, back cutting the valves, and yada, yada, yada, on oem iron Ford heads.

So my answer to you is .....................................

Nothing is wrong with OEM IRON FORD heads ....................

as long as you don't expect the same performance from them you get with better flowing Aluminum heads for a fraction of the cost.

Grady

Nothing wrong with iron heads, but to go along with what Grady was saying, heads like the AFR's and Trick Flow CNC are already CNC ported so you don't need to send them out either.

Also with the aluminum CNC ported heads, you *should* be able to wreck a set and put brand new ones on with minimal variance in power.

My car with stock heads, cam, 65mm tb, cold air and edel performer, with a tune, exhaust, and colder therm. it put down 265 hp 290 tq. I dont think thats too bad with stock gt40's, I dont believe the previous owner had any work besides headers and intake done.

Nothing wrong with iorns except for the thin deck.(so i hear, i havent blown a HG yet tho)
I made 275rwhp with my explorer motor(Ford stock gt40p heads and a Explorer Intake) and a crane 2031....And i know i would have made more if i had a better intake, people are making 290 rwhp with unported P heads! and a better intake!

I actually just made the decision to keep my iron heads that i currently have. I have iron 351 GT-40's. They are brand new (when i put them on) castings that would have gone on a 5.8 lighting. I am building a 327 sportsman based block this winter with stock cam, the 1.7 rr's i have now, and some undecided intake(not my explorer). The heads will get some nice home porting and no more exhaust humps. If anyone wants to see 600 rwhp and 14 psi stay tuned...... :D

Look at my sig. My irons are going to be making upwards of 300whp with the combo i'm running. No question aluminum heads are better and far superior ported, but considering i got my heads with $1000 worth of work AND an E cam, both for $400. I don't think anyone can pass up on a deal like that. I'll be running 11's with these heads and thats faster than alot of aluminum headed cars at the track. ITS ALL IN THE COMBO. Individual parts don't mean much, but they do influence the final outcome.