Engine Bad engine shaking at idle

IMG_2411.jpeg

Well it looks like my bell housing is trashed. It looks like the metal cylinder was there as a spacer to get this pivot stud to attempt to grab on straight to this absolutely destroyed boss for the pivot stud. Hoping the guy that’s selling me the dowels has a spare bell housing or I’m dead in the water until I can get an oem one.

• Sponsors (?)

That is the correct bell housing and that sucks man.

www.car-part.com

You can search salvage yards on this site but call if you find what you need as I have found it’s not 100% accurate. Typically I can find parts on there way cheaper than what some people think they are worth on eBay.

Last edited:
When I thought of putting a T5 in my car I found the used Bellhousings were selling for ridiculous prices...
Don't waste your time, just buy a new one for not much more....

When I thought of putting a T5 in my car I found the used Bellhousings were selling for ridiculous prices...
Don't waste your time, just buy a new one for not much more....
Yeah I saw on eBay they were like close to $300. Thankfully the same guy who sold me the dowels also had a spare bellhousing laying around and sold it to me for $150 which I don’t know how good of a deal that is but it definitely saved the day.

Unfortunately one of the dowels is pretty gnarled I guess from removal and it won’t fit in either the block or bellhousing without destroying one or the other so I’ll have to try to file it down

If you can get your hands on some 0.500" steel rod then simply cut two pieces 1.00" long and chamfer the ends.

Thankfully I was able to file down the high spots he created and they went in without too much fuss. After I used every curse word in the book and then some I managed to get the dowels onto the flywheel and today so far I’ve stabbed the transmission which went super smooth. The old stuff was so bad I’d be surprised if it doesn’t feel like a totally different car now

Reactions: 1 users
And what do you know. The awful shaking seems to be about 90% gone. The transmission/shifter is dead steady now and all that’s left is what I always imagined a cammed fox body would feel like. I’ve got a slight exhaust leak but I’ll take care of that my next day off. Not exactly sure which of the plethora of awful parts solved it or if it was just a combo of all of them.

It also seems like the car idles smoother but that could just be me. Definitely unhappy with how the exhaust shop decided to weld in the cats because putting the h pipe on is an absolute chore now but I’m sure I can fix that later on. Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I’m still going to do a compression test and all just for peace of mind but I’m glad I can put this behind me after four years.

Reactions: 3 users